Homeward bound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Pennsylvania » Carlisle
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we left the DC area and drove north to Gettysburg. We thought that we'd spend a couple hours driving the auto tour around the battlefields before heading up to Hershey.

When we arrived at the visitor's center, we found that it had an extensive museum and exhibit that explained the conditions leading up to the Civil War, how the battle at Gettysburg unfolded, and what happened afterward. We spend nearly three hours in there before ever starting out on the tour. I thought that it was very impressive and really helped put into perspective what transpired there - far more so then if you simply looked out at the fields and hills on your own. We found ourselves trying the visualize thousands upon thousands of soldiers out there, where they came from, where they dug in, where they fought - and where they died. If you come away from a place like that unmoved, then I have to believe you weren't paying attention. It was a somewhat grim experience, but it really drove home what happened and why. I wanted to show the twins things during the course of this trip to help them appreciate what this country is and why we are how we are. I think this was a good way to cap that off.

We then went on our way up to the Harrisburg area and checked into a hotel before heading to Hershey Park. It was after 6:00 by the time we got there, so we got the 1/2 off "sunset" admission. But that worked out fine - we stayed there till closing time at 10:00, got to go on a few rides and get ice cream and stuff. All in all it was a good wrap up to very extensive trip.

Tomorrow we finally head for home. From here, it's just a few hours north (ok, maybe 5), but its a road I've traveled a number of times. That makes it seem like I'm almost home already. After about three weeks away, I'm ready to be back...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb