DC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Annapolis
August 17th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post


We took the Metro train into Washington DC and got off at the National Mall. Our original intent was to walk the loop around it, through the Smithsonian buildings, to Capitol Hill, back down the other side to the Washington Monument, walk over to see the Lincoln Memorial, then back to the train station. We did not, however, anticipate how many buildings there were, how extensive the displays were, or simply how large the National Mall is. From one to the other (Capital Building to Washington Memorial) is about 2 miles, and most of the buildings closed at 5:30.


So we concentrated on going to the Smithsonian buildings we most wanted to go to. Jacquie wanted to go into the Freer Art Gallery. The collection of one person, the gallery contain a multitude of paintings, pottery, sculptures, and various other forms of art from all around the world. It was pretty impressive.


Next, the National Air & Space Museum. A wide variety of aircraft from all eras, many of which have very specific historic significance, such as the Spirit of St. Louis, Rutan's Space Ship One, the Bell X-1 flown by Chuck Yeager, shown here.

Sputnik.

Howard Hughes' H-1 racer, with a Beechcraft Staggerwing behind.

A lunar lander from the Apollo Program. Honestly, I could have spent all day there. As it was, I had to sort of skim through the exhibits so that we'd have time to go to other places...


Then we headed over to the Museum of Natural History. This places astounded us not only for the variety of things on display, but also how extensive it was. Each exhibit seemed to wind on far farther then we thought possible. We got there just in time to catch an IMAX movie about prehistoric sea creatures. Then we went on to explore the musuem.

Ashley and the bear

Jacq stares down a monkey...

Ash tries to avoid being eaten...


In front of Capitol Hill


Twins give up on the way to the Washington Monument...

Finally, we made it back to the station and back to the campground. We stopped at Friendly's along the way for dinner (and ice cream, of course). On Monday, we're heading out - north to Gettysburg. After that, we're spending the evening at Hershey Park. Till next time...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb