The Ass-Crack of Dawn


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon
May 19th 2009
Published: May 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Reverend Chuck's AbodeReverend Chuck's AbodeReverend Chuck's Abode

He got this tent on Craiglist!
Rolling out of the garage at 0500 seemed early enough. By the time we’d gone over the GPS route and maps, the Issaquah Starbucks went from empty to full of Monday morning working stiffs. Bummer. We’re on vacation! Too bad the four State Troopers drinking coffee got on the road before us.
The miles of slab to Vantage went quick enough. But our Kiona turn on the vineyard side route ran afoul of construction. After an unplanned drone on I-84, we finally got to the twisties.
Highway 395 from Pendleton to Burns is one of the greatest cross-state routes in the country. A series of passes and valleys, much akin to the Basin and Range geology of Nevada, takes one over six passes and along watercourses and canyons. No constables in evidence. The hills and pastures were resplendent in their verdant spring growth.
Temps ran into the nineties in John Day, and our hot weather gear vented well.
Burns was the provision stop, but our original 630 mile destination was clearly to far.
By 5pm and 470 miles we were tapped out.
Not far from Burns is Crane Hot Springs. A few smiles later, we got half price camping and hot springs swimming. The song of redwing blackbirds is mixed with the road sounds over the rise.
506 miles for the Day. Not bad for day one.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Reverend ChuckReverend Chuck
Reverend Chuck

Replenishing the electrolytes.
BloggingBlogging
Blogging

Wi-Fi at Crane Hot Springs: time for a post.


19th May 2009

Yikes!!!!
Those are some pasty white legs Rev. Chas!!!!! Dont'cha got no SUN over there????? Are ya anemic??? I know you can't ride in shorts but HECK...have some SUN!!!! Be safe! Love ya!!!!XOXOX
19th May 2009

salty feeners
Chuky's got his hand in that "ridin magic" supplement container again. God the weather looks great!! Be safe and I look forward to hearin more about the trip. We leave for phoenix tomorrow, we stay at the Xona resort in North Scottsdale. Give us a call if you are down that way, but we leave on Monday morning.
19th May 2009

awesome
Hey looks like a great trip....I'm very jealous. Reverend Chucks tent looks like mine! I love your saddle bags Bill. I want a pair like that esp after I cracked my left one nicely last fall when I fell. Be safe...happy trails. Lynda

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 36; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb