Snakes on the Road


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Ely
May 23rd 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Morning MistMorning MistMorning Mist

Birders were up and out.
Tuesday dawned clear with the cacophony of bird calls. Crystal Crane Hot Springs creates a small wetland and Spring is in the air. The hot springs were largely peopled with birders visiting the Malheur Wildlife refuge, and they were up at 0500 preparing for their day.
The first 100 miles to Fields took us through Frenchglen and over the Catlow Rim. The Malheur wetlands, fed by the Blitzen River draining the West slope of Steens mountains, were full of birdlife of every variety.
The reptile factor was remarkable. As we rode along, numerous snakes crossed the road in front of us. Though we did not stop to confirm, about half of them appeared at 70 mph to be garter snakes or racers, and the others appeared to be rattlesnakes (Crotalus Viridis Lutosis) or their look alike brethren (corn snakes, etc.). The pit vipers were not moving much, but the racers scooted out of the way as we passed. Several of the snakes were being attacked by birds as we approached, and the complete lack of road killed snakes testified to the determination of the avian preditors and scavengers. At one point we came across three large hawks working
StraysStraysStrays

That grass on the other side looks tasty.
a fresh killed snake. Further down the road beyond the refuge where the bird population dropped off, there were numerous flat snakes "resting" in the road.
Riding 100 miles to breakfast at Field Station paid off. Tammy brought us a heaping portion of friendly chat and good karma. The chow was great.
At Fields, the brutal winds began. Driving a high profile vehicle in a crosswind is not too great a challenge. Riding a motorcycle in a heavy crosswind is a very taxing exercise. Not only must you compensate for gusts pushing you out of your lane, the wind blasting around the side of your fairing forces you to strenuously hang on to your bike.
After a couple of miserable hours of side winds, we arrive in Winnemucca, Nevada, and our route turned downwind to Battle Mountain. It was a great relief to have the wind at our back.
The planned route had us turning South at Battle Mountain, resuming our sidewind torture. Instead, we chose to continue East, and continue our downwind ride instead to Elko. Despite our distaste for the slab, the Ruby Mountains became our new destination for the night.
A quick stop at the visitor information center and we had an idea of where we might camp in the Rubys, but then we met Detective Mike Moore of the Elko County Sheriff force. We had pulled into the supermarket for provisions and he spotted us in the parking lot. He also rides a V-Strom like Reverend Bill’s and was delighted to provide us advice on camping and routes around the Ruby’s. He was incredibly helpful and friendly. His enthusiam was so great we half expected him to turn up at our campsite. Thanks, Mike.
On his advice we headed up Lamiolle Canyon and camped at the Stevens Canyon campground at 7600’. A quick photo-op for the local glacier, and we met a very aggressive grouse. If it was protecting its nest, bummer location, by the scenic wayside. It’ll be a busy season for that bird.
The nearly deserted campground was great, the steaks were delicious. Life is good.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Breakfast of ChampionsBreakfast of Champions
Breakfast of Champions

Fields! Eat there, they sold over 4,000 milkshakes last year, only 704 this YTD.
Fields, OregonFields, Oregon
Fields, Oregon

It's the biggest thing around.
Ruby MountainsRuby Mountains
Ruby Mountains

Glacier View
Making FriendsMaking Friends
Making Friends

The grouse was not happy.
Steak and SaladSteak and Salad
Steak and Salad

Boneless Rib Steaks, yes!
Ruby Mountain CampingRuby Mountain Camping
Ruby Mountain Camping

Taylor Canyon Campground, 7,600'


23rd May 2009

Which one's the grouse?
I can't tell, in pix number 7! But seriously guys, reading your post reminded me of several places I spent many weeks as a child (happily) and teen (belligerently): Steens mountain, Elko County -- all verrrry fine rock huntin' grounds! On another issue, Bill, isn't your bike just a little, well, SHOWY compared to the other one?
23rd May 2009

SHOWY!?
Yes, Reverend Chuck's BMW is Teutonic Black. But unlike Reverend Chuck, my bike's daily duty is a city commuter, and those cell-phone soccer moms in Volvos would see me otherwise. And thank you for noticing. (Honest to God, some guy came up to us and asked if I always run interference in the rear!)
23rd May 2009

Lookin for scraps...
I was thinking that poor bird is misunderstood. You said there were numerous "flat snakes - resting" - Well this poor fella was hungry and he just wanted the spun up snake scraps from under the fenders. All the other birds were eating snake...
24th May 2009

I see Sandy at Fields treated you well. Frenchglen also has a great breakfast however only from7:30am to 9:30am.
28th May 2009

Steens.....
Man, what a place to cruise...like all the eating metaphors... Snakes for snacks?

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb