Way Out West 2021


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Seaside
August 26th 2021
Published: September 1st 2021
Edit Blog Post


Seaside, Oregon
Today is a travel day and a pretty ambitious one. We wanted to see the Oregon Coast so we drove to Seaside, Oregon first to see the end of the Lewis and Clark Trail. There was a statue of Lewis and Clark in the center of town overlooking the beach. It was a busy little town. It appeared people were there for some kind of race. We went in a few shops but we really didn’t have much time to explore.

Next up was Cannon Beach famous for haystack rock. It’s a large rock that sits on the edge of the beach. Most people have seen pictures of it without even realizing it. Haystack rock is also a home for puffins from May to mid August during their breeding season. Cannon Beach was also a cute town with several carved statues placed around town.

After leaving Cannon Beach we headed south through Tillamook. In the past year I’ve seen Tillamook dairy products in the Galaxy and other grocery stores in our area. Nanci Bowen and I went there in 2008 and watched them package cheese. We also bought some of their products. Sadly the place was packed today so

End of Lewis and Clark Trail
we didn’t get to stop

As we continued south on highway 101 we stopped at many pull offs and overlooks. We knew we were in a time crunch but just couldn’t resist the chance to look around and take photos.

We always pack a picnic lunch so we found a cute park in Lincoln City, Oregon. It was named for its county (Lincoln) which was named for our 16th president. Five small cities along the coast of Oregon voted to incorporate as one (Lincoln City) in 1965. This made it have the longest continuous beach along highway 101.

It is so hard to capture what you see as you are traveling. Pictures just don’t do it justice and today was no different. The Oregon Coast is beautiful, rocky, steep, rugged, and windy. There are seaside cliffs, Sandy beaches, unusual rock formations, lush vegetation, cute coastal towns, and incredible sunsets. We loved the drive but it was a long one.

We finally arrived at our home for the night at about 10:00pm. Tomorrow we explore the giant redwoods and all that Northern California has to offer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Loved the light post decorations


Several wood statues around town


Tomfoolery


Puffin


Haystack rock


Haystack rock in the background


Along the coast


Along the coast


Along the coast


Along the coast


Driving down the coast


Driving down the coast


Lincoln City


Sunset along the coast


Sunset along the coast


Sunset along the coast


Made it to California


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb