Florence to Idleyld Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Roseburg
June 16th 2014
Published: August 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Initially, I was just looking for a place to stay to break up the trip from the coast over to Crater Lake. Eugene had no vacancies because of graduation at the university. I ended up contacting a guy who had three riverfront cottages exactly halfway. Randy was a little over-the-top in his description of the cottages and the available hiking to multiple waterfalls http://www.rivervista-vacationhomes.com/, but I'm ahead of myself...

Ruth is in her zone with a map in her lap and the latest pamphlet in her hand indicating where we want to stop next. She tracked down a brochure with good birding spots in Oregon, so it served for our way-finding. After taking in a few hikes to view some waterfalls, we stopped at a place also known to have a herd of elk. Sure enough, we stopped and there were the elk. Then we continued on to the North Bank Habitat Management Area. I was enamored by the gold grassy mountains in contrast with all the forested ones, and anxious to climb one. Unfortunately, the gate was locked at one entry, and it started raining when we got to the other entrance.

We continued on to Idleyld Park to find our cottage. Uhh-Ohh!!...Idleyld Park is a rundown restaurant, post office, RV parking and sketchy gas station. The GPS says our cottage is somewhere around here. After some searching we saw a sign for our cottage pointing down a narrow drive that seemed like at a 45 degree angle. I parked the car and walked down to check out what I had gotten ourselves into. We had rented the "Fir Cottage," and as i got to bottom of the drive found three delightful looking cottages literally right on the banks of the North Umpqua River. Randy was in our cottage and apologized for not having finished cleaning, but anxious to show us around. Randy's over-the-top description ended up being right on spot...the place was amazing, clean and had everything you need include full kithchen and even a bottle of wine on the dining side table. The deck literally over hang the river and designed to prevent views of the cottages on either side. If you travel in this area, make sure you spend time on HWY 138. Just amazing hiking to waterfalls. The young couple across the street bought the Idleyld Lodge/Restaurant and residence for $189,000 and trying to make a go of it. Nice people and good meals. For the special meals try Steamboat down the road. Pricey but great for breakfast/lunch.

Took in several waterfall hikes and a fish hatchery. also went back to the Habitat Management Area. Wouldn't you know it, the place is closed on


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0926s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb