Portland with the girls


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
February 15th 2008
Published: February 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

For President's Day weekend we headed to Portland. I drove up after a skiing trip with my class. Unfortunately, I got a bit lost at the last minute and I was almost the last to arrive. Harriet picked Linda up from the airport; Louise flew in from Sacramento and last to arrive was Jane from Minnesota. We had time for a quick drink in the hotel bar....literally a quick drink because the bar staff rather rudely ejected us from the bar very sharply on closing time.
On Saturday we woke up and headed down to Pioneer Square for breakfast in Starbucks. From there we had a bit of a girly day shopping: first in Pioneer Place then in Macy's. Linda, Louise and Jane made some very successful make up purchases and had a wee makeover in the process.
At 1:30pm we got a taxi up to 23rd and Glisan. This is the Alphabet District of Portland and very, what I believe is called, Boho. Lots of lovely shops and restaurants. We met Harriet there who had just had her hair done. She had Flora with her and we went to the Ram's Head for a late lunch then a wander around the shops. We had our first problem with taxis for the weekend in getting a taxi back to the hotel so we were then rushed to get ready for dinner. Dinner was amazing however, and was worth rushing for!
Harriet chose the venue and invited her soon to be husband and one of her work colleagues called Dave. The restaurant/bar was on the 30th floor of a building. It is called the Portland Grill and the food, views and cocktails are amazing. From there we headed to a club called The Greek and then to an Irish Pub called Kells. Eventually, we got back to the hotel about 2:30am.
On Sunday we planned to meet Harriet again. Following a brunch at Rock Bottom Brewery we got a taxi up to the Japanese Gardens to meet Harriet and her children (John was at football). We toured the gardens which were beautiful. Then we walked down again to the 23rd and Glisan area for a much needed Starbucks where we again had great problems getting a taxi home. Again we were rushed to get ready for a booking at Jake's Grill. Now we booked this courtesy of the Hilton as a result of our complaints following our treatment on the first night. Again we had a great meal in a restaurant that had kind of decor that reminded me of a scene from a Godfather. Finally we ended up at Kells Bar again and another late but great night out.
Our last day was Monday and the girls' flights home were all about 2pm so we checked out and headed out for breakfast before heading home.
I really had a wonderful weekend. Portland is a fantastic place to visit with friends and the girls I visited with made it an altogether fantastic weekend. What a laugh from start to finish....I am really lucky to have opportunities like this and such great friends to share it with!


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb