Day 1 - Boston to Portland, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
September 8th 2020
Published: September 8th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Our Trip began at 4:45am. We were pretty much packed up the night before, so just needed to get ready, have some coffee, and leave for John and Diane's house. The limo was there promptly at 7:00, and the drive to Logan Airport was pretty quick. No traffic due to the holiday. Check in went without a hitch, with John getting his perfunctory pat down by TSA. I'm starting to think he puts metal on his body just so they'll do it. They told us at the ticket counter that there would be no food served on the flight, and we should get something to go before we left. Well, either the restaurants/kiosks were closed, or they had no more food left. Sandy managed to find one place that had one chicken wrap. Gonna be a long, hungry 6 hours.

The flight left on time, a B737, with no entertainment system, and a wifi that wouldn't work. The layover in Seattle was quick, and went smoothly. We boarded a twin engine turbo prop, and 25 minutes later we landed in Portland. The scenery enroute was spectacular. We went by snow covered Mt. Ranier, and saw Mt. Saint Helens. Could see where the side of the mountain had blown completely off. Very mountainous, rugged country. Making us anxious to begin our RV adventure, and see this up close. Arriving in Portland, we had, what seemed like a three mile walk to get to the baggage area. The Airport shuttle brought us to the Best Western hotel, about 15 minutes from the airport.

After checking in, we chilled for awhile, then ventured out to find food. The wind had picked up considerably, blowing about 30 MPH, with very heavy smoke. Someone told us they heard there was a big fire up in the Columbia River Gorge. It was almost difficult to breath, it was so thick. We ended up at a Court Yard hotel, and had a very enjoyable dinner. The food was good, the wine was excellent, and our waiter was the nicest young man you could meet. Very personable and knowledgeable about the areas we would be travelling in. He gave us quite a few good tips on places to visit and places to eat. We will definitely return there on our last night in Portland.

Off to bed now. Breakfast at the hotel in the morning, taxi to the RV place after lunch, and off to see LIB Land up close.

Advertisement



9th September 2020

Have a safe and fun trip....
Happy to hear that your flights all went well! I look forward to reading about your trip and adventures! Stay safe.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0785s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb