It's Raining Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
April 14th 2018
Published: April 29th 2018
Edit Blog Post


Boondocking in Columbia forest
Although everyone thinks it rains all the time in Portland we have a relatively dry day here, and it’s not until late afternoon when we need to don our rain jackets. We hear it isn’t actually as wet as they make it out to be and it’s become a bit of a myth the Portland folk like to peddle so to keep away all those southern sun seekers.

We have come here via the Columbia River gorge where we found another boondocking site to pull up deep (well 5 miles) into the state forest. It’s certainly not the best time to tour Washington, many of the attractions are not yet open for the season and the main appeal of the area are the outdoor activities which the current weather rules out. We pull up for petrol at a small town by the river which appears to market itself as the Bigfoot centre of Washington state. Bit of a ghost town at the moment but the bigfoot are here.

To see the city of Portland we avoid driving the rv into the city centre, by using the park & ride car park and light rail. Though the car park isn’t

Statue in Portland
designed for large vehicles and there is a worrying amount of broken glass in the car park, it works out well and we have most of the day to wander the city without having to overnight here.

Portland seem to be a place to appreciate for its laid back vibe rather than its stunning sights. Pioneer Square seems to be the epi-centre for friendly leftish protests, much like we are used to at home. The Waterfront area holds a Farmer market that is mainly craft stalls but it is also a good place for lunch with a good selection of international food stalls. Across the other side of town is the largest bookstore in the world (Foyles in London must have been surpassed) and it is packed with shoppers. It seems that the printed word is not yet dead!

Portland is a hip, grungy sort of place and I can see why people like it here. If I had the chance I think I would enjoy living here and I’m sure it doesn’t rain quite as much as they make out. We only spend the day here. Before dark we hit the freeway south. Next stop is the

Portland maritime museum
Oregon Coast but the weather forecast for the next few days is for rain so we may not see it at its best.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement





Largest bookshop in the world


Portland park


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb