Newport, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Newport
July 15th 2010
Published: July 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday we made the trek north to Newport. We'd been there a couple of summers ago, but wanted to revisit the Rogue Brewery as well as take a closer look at the town. Got there about 3pm and had to go in the brewery to see if we could park in their lot overnight. Of course we had to sample a little something 😊 Then we drove the car down to the historic bay area. We picked up some oysters and some tuna right off the boat...as we walked up to the boat, there was a woman buying a tuna. As Glenn was checking out the situation, he asked me if I could eat 12 lbs of tuna (the weight of the fish the woman was purchasing)...she thought he was asking her, and she said she could put the extra on ice...needless to say, Glenn apologized, but then she said she'd be happy to share it with us. She took 2/3 and we took the other 1/3...nice!! Turns out she was from Mesquite, NV (outside of Las Vegas). She was on her annual summer vacation on the Oregon coast. She's a HS statistics teacher who has a 22-year-old daughter that's getting married in August (in Vegas...), so they have to return by then 😊 It was really nice visiting with her while we waited for an apprentice to fillet our tuna!!

We went back to the coach and G made us an awesome dinner!! Then walked back to Rogue for "dessert"!! The bartender gave us a double-take when he saw us sit down again!! When they were getting ready to close, one of the other bartenders sat at a table behind us. I had to ask what his "shift" drink was...Brutal Bitter!! He was getting ready to go on vacation in the San Juan Islands to do some kayaking!! He was originally from Wisconsin, had gone to visit his Dad in Colorado to snow board, and just kept coming west. Liked Newport, so he has stayed since March...nice!!!

Got up this morning and went to Cafe Stephanie for coffee and muffins...yum!! And as it was only a block away from the beach, took a "cold" walk...got in the car and found another beach a bit further north, had a warmer coat, and a longer walk 😊 Then back to the coach and had a stroll on the pier. Wind was really blowing, so we headed back to the Casino parking lot in Florence for the evening. Going to the free comedy show...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.345s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.2079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb