Loafing Around the Pacific


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Florence
July 6th 2013
Published: July 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 6, 2013

Florence where we are staying is quite a place for those that love the outdoors, it has everything you could ever dream of including 17 fresh water lakes, rivers, miles of sand dunes, beach access, hiking and biking trails, horseback riding, crabbing, fishing, sandboarding and of course the Pacific.

What a beautiful day here inOregon. This morning we headed out to the dunes and walked up one really large one and down the other side to the ocean. Had a nice walk by the ocean – but so windy and chilly. Checked out some of the lakes in the area too - beautiful.

Back to the trailer to grill some hamburgers for lunch and then we took off again for FUN! Up and down the dunes, along the beach, a little scary at times on some of the large dunes, going down the other side. There were 26 others in the dune buggy, besides the driver and us – it was a BIG dune buggy!

Now we get ready to travel again tomorrow, Nehalum SP for a week, still inOregon. The beautiful state with no sales tax! It’s great fun to purchase something marked $1.00 and pay just the $1.00.

More Facts about the Florence Area

Close your eyes and picture your dream town -- the place where you would love to live, work, play or raise your family. It's more than likely that the town in your mind resembles Florence, Oregon. Why? It’s really simple: Florence is one of the best places to live in the United States.

Florence’s most attractive features is its wide array of natural attributes. We are located on the beautiful Oregon coast and have miles of beaches. To the north, there is a 25-mile stretch of clean sand, driftwood, crashing surf and high promontories. Southward, the {Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area} sits, 42 miles of shifting dunes, lakes and forests make it one of the country's most popular seaside attractions.


Forests and rivers and lakes, oh my
Florence is surrounded with beautiful, towering pine trees that extend to the doorsteps of the residential areas. Its backdrop is the Siuslaw National Forest, one of the nation's most productive tree growing areas.

Florence is also a river town. From more than one hundred miles deep within the Coastal Range, the Siuslaw River begins a meandering trip to the sea. About half a mile west of Florence, new jetties have extended the river’s mouth. Two walls of massive stones extend a quarter mile into the Pacific Ocean. This $30 million project was done to enhance river navigation. More and more often the traffic whistle blows, the center of the Siuslaw Bridge raises and another fishing boat or lumber barge passes the historic riverfront district.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th July 2013

No Sales Tax?
I like it there...I'd want to live there, too! That is one BIG dune buggy!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb