Day 6 - Eureka to Hines (via Crater Lake)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Crater Lake
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Long day today of over 500 miles, yet quite possibley the weirdest 500 miles I have ever driven in my life.

The day started at around 930am with a quick nip to grab a photo of the Carson Mansion in Eureka, for some reason I expected this to be in quite large grounds and far away from anything else, but its basically just another house on a street.

The drive starts 270 miles ish to Crater Lake, the vast portion of the drive was uneventful, although the drive through The Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park was very nice, however this paled into insignificance once you start up to Crater Lake which is simply just road after road flanked on both sides by forest, unfortunately photography doesn't work that well in poor light, but hopefully one does give an idea.

Crater Lake itself is unbelieveable, I had seen pictures on the net before hand but seriously nothing prepares you for seeing it for real, it's incredible, as are views in opposite directions, I also met chip and dale.

Left Crater Lake for Hines and I have a photo of the road from Crater Lake down to the freeway, you can just make the e nd of the road in the distance - believe it or not that is 10 miles away! I thought that was silly until that is I got on the road between Bend and Hines, this was silly on acid, the road would go for 20 miles + at a time without a bend, or a tree or another car, even Death Valley seemed to have more life in it, to be honest it was eerie as you wonder what the hell you would do if you broke down, there was absolutely nothing around, anywhere.

Tomorrow is another long day - 500+ miles again up to West Yellowstone, don't think there will be any sights to see as it's mostly just Interstate all the way, so probably no post tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb