Day 5 - San Francisco to Eureka


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Eureka
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left San Francisco aroun 9am and had a small panic for 5 mins whilst the SatNav decided whether or not it wanted to get a signal, amazingly it seems that I pointed the car in the right direction anyway and I was off.

Another been there done that moment was achieved when driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, some stop off points for photo's are at either end so if you miss the first you can catch the second, then it was the long and winding Highway 1 for most of the 312 miles to Eureka.

The views are spectacular, and again the amount of little towns you go through with just a shop and a post office is interesting, although some of these places are very cute and some of the houses that are perched on top of cliff tops must have some fantastic views.

The last 20 miles or so of Highway 1 heads inland from the coast through the forest and the road doesn't stay straight for more than 50 yards, great fun, although it did play havoc with the satellite radio, no Scott Mills - gutted !!! From there you join up with the main Highway 101 into Eureka, there is a turn off some 20 miles later for The Avenue of the Giants which takes you through the Redwood forests, although this idiot took the wrong turn off after about 10 miles in and ended up back on the highway with no way back round - oops.

Got to Eureka around 6pm and to be honest was somewhat disappointed, the Old Town, nice victorian waterfront, was all closed, obviously not a town that stays open late, going to have a look at the Carson Mansion later and then onto Crater Lake in Oregon and a stop of in a tiny place called Hines, I get the feeling that Hines will be the type of place with just a shop and a post office, but then it is just somewhere to sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Your Chariot Awaits SirYour Chariot Awaits Sir
Your Chariot Awaits Sir

This ones for Nathan


26th June 2007

Nice Car Dad
Hi Dad, first things first - Nice car. Seems that this day wasn't your best as the photos aren't as good as some of your others, but who's complaining. Check your e-mail and talk to you soon. Nath

Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb