Weekend Getaway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
June 11th 2015
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.9544, -94.7878

Hubby & I decided we deserved a weekend getaway (at least) because for the first time since 2007, we were not leaving the country.  We both left the country in 2007 but we didn't know each other then.  We started dating January 2008 and we flew to Quebec August 2008.  We've traveled to another country (or several) every year we've been together. This year, we did a major overall on our finances (it's already June and we are patting ourselves on the back) and we've spent over $2200 on our home... it needs another $5,000 to $30,000, depending on who you ask.  Regardless, we agreed on a Sun-"day" that if hubby got any four-day weekends this summer, we'd go somewhere.  Well, that same night he called me from work and he was off the next weekend.  We have visited everywhere within a 5-hour radius... or so we thought!  My sister likes to gamble and told us about this place.  We are not gamblers but the resort part - two giant pools and a killer spa - called us to attention. 

The drive was flat and easy.  The road from Springfield, MO to Joplin, MO and on to Tulsa has always been flat and usually, empty.  The roads were packed.  We were surprised.  They are making it into six lanes, thank goodness.  I stayed on the right side of the road and cruised along at the speed limit while RVs and other vehicles flew past me to the left the entire time.  We were in no hurry and that highway is seriously screaming for some major wrecks. 

The casino/resort/spa that is Downstream is at the 1 mile marker exit for Missouri - just before you cross into Oklahoma and start the toll roads.  The exit is "Downstream Boulevard' and the only gas station at this exit is "The Q" - which is also the name of your gambling card they give you - your "Q" card where you get free "Q" play... anyway, past the roundabout and gorgeous landscaping and you can clearly see this place is... and I plan to repeat this several times... impressive.  To your left are the Bison they raise for their pricey but impressive steakouse.  To the right is bus parking.  They even have their own little "50s-style" RV park that is adorable.  The hotel has free valet parking.  Nice.

Our room was inexpensive and then we were told we get 10% off if we sign-up for a Q card and gamble... which of course we did.  There are six restaurants, five of which are on the cheap end of pricing (very affordable), there is a large outdoor pool with cabanas that can be rented (the cabanas have fire pits at night - nice) and a poolside bar and waiter service.  There is a large indoor pool on the other side of the hotel with a waterfall and you can swim outdoors with this pool too.  Again, poolside bar service.  Both pools are adults only after 8pm.  Our room was on floor seven and very large and very, very clean.  We've stayed in hotels all over the world and the carpet in the room was so clean I didn't wear shoes or socks.  WOW!  Room service was very affordable.  Again, nothing was expensive here.

The casino had loads of penny slots.  I loved them.  I had $50 and played all night and came out ahead. I could have played for several more hours but my husband wanted to play digital poker and his machine was an old piece of crap that took $33 in a couple of minutes.  We attempted several times to get help and noone would help us.  The "Q" service desk told us to look for someone in red jackets but the red jackets were a group of young men (early 20s) that reeked of terrible cologne, spikey gel hair, and rudeness.  They were much more interested in the groups of Bachelorette-type girl parties sitting around than helping anyone spend their money in the casino - so that is the casino's loss and the only reason we won't return.  I could entertain myself here for days but if hubby doesn't like to swim and wants to sit and play poker and noone will assist him... why stay?  We checked-out a day early because of this.  There were some other red jackets - one middled-aged lady with a long dark hair and she simply walked away from us when we motioned for assistance.  We didn't come to win - we came for entertainment - but apparently that was not possible if you didn't already know how to gamble here.  What a shame.

There was an Applebee-type bar/restaurant in the middle of the casino that we conveniently sat down to eat at about 10 minutes before a LIVE band began playing!!  I kidd you not they sounded like Rascal Flatts!  THEY WERE AWESOME!! I LOVED THEM!!!  On a THURSDAY night.  I really wish I would have gotten their name because they mentioned they had a record deal with GM and I would like to buy their music - download it to my music player.  Too bad I never got that information.  The food, again, was fine.  It was slow service but they were packed and the manager was helping the waitresses as much as possible.  It was only here that I noticed the large group of Bachelor (men) and Bachelorette (women) type of groups.   Which reminds me, as far as the casino... the overall age group here was really old to 18 and above.  Every age, every demographic was represented from what I could see.  The casino floor was steady but not packed - again, it was a Thursday night and do to the lack of assistance, we left and did not stay Friday night.

Drinks on the casino floor were only $4.  Excellent for an Amaretto Sour, I thought.  You can start a tab and charge it to your room.  Again, good deal.  Smoking is allowed in 90% of the casino but they have an excellent ventilation system so you never smell smoke. I loved this and so did hubby - he's a smoker, I'm not.

They have a great cupcakery just past the hotel check-in area.  We bought four cupcakes - $5 a pop.  Lemon and Strawberry cheesecake were to die for.  I got carrot cake and german chocolate and took to my parents. Everyone loved them.

Friday morning we had a Swedish couples massage at Nee Spa in the hotel. Fabulous.  Worth every penny.  The spa is very professional and setup fabulously.  Women and men have their own private hot tubs and steam rooms available all day to you once you have a spa treatment. Our massages were at 10:30am and then we checked-out and left Friday morning. Wish hubby had a good time gambling because we would have stayed all day and I would have returned for a pedicure.  Ladies at the spa were funny and helpful and talkative and thanks to them we learned that as you are leaving the resort if you look to your right you will see a small dirt road and a road sign that says "State Marker" - we took this and it leads to a small dead-end by the buffalo and a big encased marker - it is the official surveyed area where Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma meet!!  We took our pictures for the record.  Cute.

I can't say enough about how impressive and beautiful this resort is which is unfortunate because clearly they need to invest in better casino staff.  The red jackets were terrible with customer service.   95% of the other staff are kind and courteous though the guy who checked us out of the hotel Friday morning was a bit rude because I asked to see an itemized bill before leaving - I charged everything to our room so why wouldn't I?  Again, step-up the customer service here Downstream.  I would love to return but my husband would be sitting in the room reading his Kindle so that's a no way.  For a girls getaway, this is excellent.  Both my parents enjoy gambling and they have been here before and liked it.  I may get them a room as a Birthday present next month.  My sister and her husband go quite often and they also rave about the Friday and Saturday night buffet which includes steak and crab legs for an additional $10.  We aren't buffet people so we didn't check it out but I'm sure it is good based on my sister's review.

One last thing... this is one of the greenest hotels we've ever visited.  They raise their own Bison - the bulls are out front and the mammas and babies are in the back, they raise their own Angus cattle, they have a giant greenhouse for their own herbs and veggies, etc.  Big thing here - they actually recycle the shampoo/conditioner/soap left in the rooms - they are sent to the Joplin Workshop - which employees adults with disabilities (individuals that would not be able to work in the general public) and they repackage these items and donate them to the homeless and to shelters.  I work with the public sector, many homeless, and one of the biggest questions I have for people at times is: "how do you pay for shampoo, toilet paper, etc" and a lot of times they simply say "I don't" as in, they do not have these types of things and they don't have access to them so this program is excellent and I applaud Downstream for this. 

Excellent getaway for the right people.  The hotel has so many good things about it - make sure you go outside at night and look at all the lights.... IMPRESSIVE.

I mainly wrote this so I could put it on our timeline and add Oklahoma to our map.  I'll add Kansas tomorrow as we did step into Kansas and have the picture to prove it! ;-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb