Biking OHIO AND ERIE CANAL TOWPATH TRAIL


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cleveland Area
July 10th 2016
Published: July 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail

From Cleveland to Bolivar









Biking on the OHIO AND ERIE CANAL TOWPATH TRAIL south of Cleveland










Text and Photos last updated: 2017

Number of times on this trail: 4

Location: Cleveland - Akron and south

Distance: 140 km (85 miles)

Bathrooms: mostly at train stations or visitor centers

Water: at train stations and other locations

Benches: not many

Surface: some paved but mostly packed limestone

Grade: Flat



The Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail is located between Cleveland and Bolivar (south of Akron) and has a distance of 140 km. Of the approximately 70 trails that we have explored in North America, this trail would rank among some of the top.





The two endpoints are Canal Basin Park in Cleveland and Canal Lands Park in Bolivar to the south. The trail closely follows the Towpath Trail where mules used to pull barges with goods and passengers. From mile 11 to mile 30 the trail follows the canal within the boundaries of the CUYAHOGA VALLEY NATIONAL PARK, one of the most visited parks in the USA. This blog covers only the section within the park that we have biked four times.





The 11 miles north of the park have a few paved sections while within the park and south it is hard-packed crushed limestone. A street bike would have no problem on this surface.





If you are not an OHIO native and need to spend time in a hotel our recommendation would be the DAYS INN 4742 Brecksville Rd, Richfield, OH 44286. Beside it are also a Super 8 and Hampton Inn. From here it is a 10 minute drive to BOSTON STORE VISITOR CENTER (1541-1547 W Boston Mills Rd Peninsula, GPS: 41.263503, -81.558232) Besides trailhead, washrooms and parking, the visitor center has maps, brochures, and information and if you want to bike just in the park, Boston Mill allows you to go north or south.





If you only have one day, I would recommend going south from Boston Mills. It is more scenic, has more shade, stays closer to the river and has a few places to get food. North to Rockside station the trail is straighter and sometimes not within view of the river and is not as shaded.





The Canal Visitor Center between miles 12 and 13 at lock 38 in the north is really worth a look. It is one of the easiest museums to navigate, learn and understand. Well worth it (no cost!)





Further south at mile 17 is the Station Road Bridge that crosses the river to Brecksville station. The bridge offers some nice photo shoots.





The Boston Store Visitor Center is between miles 21 and 22 where the trail also goes under interstate 80 and 271.





Between miles 23 and 24 is the village of Peninsula where food is available as well as a trailhead and train stop





Near mile 27 is the HUNT FARM Visitor Center which also has washrooms and a trailhead.





Botzum Station and Trailhead is located near mile 30.





Within the park, there are approximately 15 remnants of canal locks. Some are still recognizable while others have pretty well deteriorated.





One of the neatest features of biking the trail within the park is the ability to bike from one trailhead to another and then take a train back to the parking lot (with your bike on the train!) BIKE ABOARD! service



You could, for example, park in the north at Rockside Station (near mile 11) and bike south to Boston Mill Station, Penninsula Station or Botzum Station. Then board a train with your bike for a ride back to your vehicle. There are 8 stations in total. Schedule is posted at each station and costs JUST $3.00 for passenger and bike (in 2017)




Truly one of the nicest bike trails that we have come across!!



MORE PHOTOS below ….


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb