A Hidden Gem-South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

More BadlandsMore BadlandsMore Badlands

You can really see the rich colors here.
Here's my second blog post on Theodore Roosevelt National Park located in western North Dakota. This post is about the South Unit of the Park. I didn't have a lot of time today, but was able to do the Scenic Loop through the South Unit of the Park.

The South Unit is much, much bigger than the North Unit of the Park with over 46,000 acres in this Unit. The South Unit also has a much bigger 36 mile scenic loop through the Park as compared to the North. Lots and lots of wildlife. I saw several wild horses, lots of wild Bison, mule deer and way too many screeching Prairie Dogs. There are lots of hikes and nature walks available as well as horse back riding.

The Little Missouri River cuts through the South Unit like it does the North Unit but you don't get as many of the scenic overlooks of it in the South Unit as compared to the North. The Unit is massive. You see the cliffs and hills of the Badlands for miles upon miles. Like the North Unit, there are places to stop to catch a photo and be aware of the wildlife!
Maltese Cross CabinMaltese Cross CabinMaltese Cross Cabin

Main House on Theodore Roosevelt's first Ranch (later becoming part of the National Park).


I had to stop several times to let bison and horses cross the road so be careful speeding because you might take a corner and have a big old Bison standing there waiting to do damage. The Bison are much, much bigger up close than they look and you don't want to make them angry at your vehicle 😊 There were thunderstorms brewing which is why there is a little haze.

The Park is named after President Theodore Roosevelt because he owned a Ranch here and lived here prior to becoming President. According to the brochure, Roosevelt actively ranched in the Badlands until about 1887 but did maintain his ranching interests until 1898. His cabin home is located at the entrance of the South Unit and you can go in and take a look at where he lived and wrote several of his memoirs. He was also a strong conservationalist.

As I mentioned in my post on the North Unit, I think this Park in North Dakota gets overlooked as a result of Badlands National Park in South Dakota. However, even though both Parks have Badlands, they are different in look. Having viewed both, I found South
BadlandsBadlandsBadlands

Easy to see the layers of colors.
Dakota's to be more pink and orange and more arid looking with jagged edges while North Dakota's has much more green vegetation, red, pinks and blues with their Badlands, a meandering Little Missouri River and rounder topped cliffs.

If you're driving by on Interstate 94, definitely drive in and take a look. There is also the Painted Canyon Visitor's Center which gives you a free overlook of the Badlands, but I'd definitely recommend going inside the Park (South Unit entrance in Medora) to get an up close view and really experience it. Drive North and take in the North Unit as well. Take a look at South Dakota's version, too!





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Wild Horse with Badlands in DistanceWild Horse with Badlands in Distance
Wild Horse with Badlands in Distance

Inside the South Unit of the Park
View from Painted Canyon Visitor's CenterView from Painted Canyon Visitor's Center
View from Painted Canyon Visitor's Center

Located outside the North and South Units, just off interstate. Free to enter and view. Great overlook.
Bison with Badlands Bison with Badlands
Bison with Badlands

Inside the South Unit of the Park
BisonBison
Bison

Bison of all sizes grazing in the South Unit


22nd May 2007

You are my hero! :0)
Great pics...love the bison. They are such awesome creatures. I haven't been in the park for a few years. We should go back and do more in Medora than just see the show. :) I would like to see the golf course Bully Pulpit, I have heard so much about the scenery.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 19; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.2mb