A Hidden Gem-North Unit of Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Oxbow Bend OverlookOxbow Bend OverlookOxbow Bend Overlook

Trying to get a few bends of the Little Missouri River in the picture.
Had the chance today to tour both the North and South Units of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park located in western North Dakota. North Dakota's Theodore Roosevelt National Park is a true hidden gem that doesn't get the notice that its more popular cousin "Badlands National Park" in South Dakota gets. Having seen the each state's version of the Badlands, they are quite distinct from each other. Where South Dakota's Badlands have vivid oranges, beiges and pinks and a more arid look to them, North Dakota's are much greener with pinks, beiges and even some blue hues to them. North Dakota also has very visible Rivers meandering through each Unit which adds some very, very pretty meadows with plenty of trees, vegetation and wildlife. The Badlands are very easy to spot with the colored layers in the hills/cliffs.

I'm dividing my posts up between the South Unit and the North Unit because both have separate entrances and scenic drives and they have a little different look to them as a result. Plus, I took way too many pictures!

If you want to see wildlife, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is for you. In the North Unit there were plenty of
Bentonite Clay FormationsBentonite Clay FormationsBentonite Clay Formations

Here you see quite the variety of colors with blues, reds, pinks, beiges and the greens of the grass and trees.
bison to take photos of, including two walking right through the Visitor's Center area as I entered as an apparent welcoming party! I also saw quite a few Mule Deer. You will have to look close to catch the deer given that they are extremely timid by nature. I didn't see any horses and there definitely was a lot less prairie dogs in this Unit vs. the South Unit where there were a number of wild horses and large prairie dog towns. The North Unit is also much smaller than the South Unit but the Badlands seem to be a bit taller here or maybe it's because you are cutting through more cliffs and they seem to be much closer. The Little Missouri is wonderful to see cutting through the hills and cliffs and so many twists and turns as it cuts its way through.

So much green! So much color throughout the Unit with plenty of overlooks and stops to snap pictures. After entering the North Unit, you take a 14.5 mile scenic drive to the end to the Oxbow Overlook. The scenic drive doesn't loop so you end up taking the same route back and there's lots
Entrance to North UnitEntrance to North UnitEntrance to North Unit

The welcoming crew in the form of two very large and very alive buffalo were making their way by the Entrance and through the Parking Lot when I arrived.
of climbing up and down in the car so don't expect to go much over 30-35 mph (I think the speed limit is 25). Plus, there are some massive drops so pay attention!

There were thunderstorms rolling in which is explains the lighting and slight haze in my pictures...still so pretty. I'll also be posting a blog about the South Unit. This Park is definitely worth a stop if you are driving by on interstate 94 but be sure to tour the Units rather than just stopping at the Painted Canyon Visitor's Center. Lots, lots more to see by entering the Park and touring either the North or South Units or both! There are several hiking trails and nature walks as well as chances to go horseback riding (South Unit only I think). I didn't have time to do any hiking or long walks, but maybe another time. Watch out for snakes, though! The Bison are also wild so be cautious...much bigger up close.

I also previously blogged about South Dakota's Badlands National Park and recommend it as well. As I said, they have very different looks to them so worth a vist to both.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Riverbend OverlookRiverbend Overlook
Riverbend Overlook

View of the Little Missouri River cutting through the Badlands and the wooded areas around it.
Slump Block FormationsSlump Block Formations
Slump Block Formations

Sign explaining the formations with a few of them showing in the background. Very pretty reds, pinks and beiges.
Cannonball ConcretionCannonball Concretion
Cannonball Concretion

Very tall cliffs of pinks and beiges.
Riverbend OverlookRiverbend Overlook
Riverbend Overlook

Another view of the Little Missouri River.
Oxbow Bend OverlookOxbow Bend Overlook
Oxbow Bend Overlook

The End of the Scenic Drive-great overlook view
Oxbow Bend OverlookOxbow Bend Overlook
Oxbow Bend Overlook

Looking down at some twists and turns of the Little Missouri River.


Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0175s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb