Looking Glass Falls, NC · Sliding Rock, NC · Dupont State Forest, NC


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was a travel day so we tried to get up early, but we've been staying up much too late. Plus, I've come down with a cold. Yesterday we drove 4 hours with a stop-off to eat. Arriving at the campground we found a steep grade coming into the entrance of the campground into a bridge that you had to line up almost perfect to get clearance through the turn. We could see why the size limit for an RV here was 35 feet. The entire campground was a bit tight. It was by far the trickiest maneuvering we've had. We set up camp as quickly as we could since it was already 4:30 and we had a lot planned for the day since there was only one night available at the campground.

Our first stop was Looking Glass Falls. This was the first waterfall we seen that did not have signs saying no wadding or swimming. It was very very busy, and seemed to be a free for all, almost appeared to be a water park. The coldness of the water kept some from entering the water, but not Nate and Daisy. Daisy was a little reluctant but couldn't resist swimming in the beautiful, literally breathtaking water. Nate enjoyed trying to swim to the powerful waterfall, however, the power of the waterfall kept pushing him away. The fall itself was quite impressive at 60 feet.

We continued to the reason we came to the area, Sliding Rock. Nate and I came here when we were Daisy's age and we wanted to bring her back for the experience. It finally paid off being late in our arrival because the pay station was closed for the day and the visitors were not near as many as when Nate and I came before. This allowed Nate and Daisy to go up and down as many times as they wanted. They hung in there until they were a bit frozen.

It was getting late, but we continued. Next, we went to Dupont State Forest. We set out to conquer three waterfalls but due to the quickly approaching sunset we were only able to get to two. The first waterfall was Hooker Falls. The waterfall was wide and short covering the entire bank, only 14 feet tall. We then headed to Triple Falls across the parking lot. It gets its name from having three distinct Falls along the river leading up to the largest and most impressive at 125 feet.



We didn't arrive back home until well past dark around 9:00 and still had to make dinner. The roads back were quite narrow and a little frightening when you are unfamiliar with the area. We prefer not to drive after dark in the mountains but only having one night here we had to make the best of our day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb