Magnanimous Burgaw, NC


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Burgaw AntiquesBurgaw AntiquesBurgaw Antiques

Burgaw North Carolina is a delightful slice of Americana. Very friendly and interesting.
April 12 - Burgaw, NC

We stopped at Burgaw, NC (off I 40 between Wilmington and Raleigh) because a billboard advertised Antiques and the CW Café. It seems like a sweet little town with dogwood in bloom, wisteria climbing up pines over 40 feet in the air, azalea every where, and neat modest old homes. On Main St., the local real estate guy, Vernon directed us to the old depot where we could park The Schooner. Actually, he ran down the main street ahead of us sweeping his arms motioning us to follow him to a good big parking spot. He nixed CW Café and instead sent us to the West End Tavern & Deli. Starched white linens seemed a little over the top for the cozy WETD. The décor and format are familiar - a comfy old bar with booths along the side as the dining room. We noticed ashtrays and since Vernon (whose father we already knew was a tobacco farmer) had told us that tobacco is the main cash crop, we kept quiet about smoking vs non sections of the restaurant. No one happened to be smoking anyway. After we had ordered, Vernon reappeared for lunch with a business associate, he came over to our table and gave us a local newspaper and several brochures about Burgaw and surrounding Pender County. Mid-lunch the mayor and his wife happened in and Vernon introduced us. Hizonor and spouce raved about the Burgaw Blueberry Festival - June 24, the antique shops, and the arts council gallery (housed in the oldest remaining depot in these parts). We found a white ginger jar with birds on it for our ginger jar collection and waved bye bye. “Ya’ll come back,” said Vernon and friends. I surely hope we will. You can’t have this kind of experience traveling by air.


Advertisement



13th April 2006

Makes me want to visit
Greetings from the North Country! Your description makes me want to travel south for sure - dogwood, wisteria, azaela...... sounds heavenly!
28th April 2008

I live in Burgaw, NC. It definitely is something different than the "modern" cities and very historical. I absolutely LOVE the Blueberry Festival. It's a time when the town can come together to visit and have fun together. You should come back sometime...the Blueberry festival is coming up : )
30th April 2008

Blueberry Festival
I would sure be fun to re-visit Burgaw and go to the Blueberry Festival. Maybe someday! Best, Joanne

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb