Swarm Fox Country & Myrtle Beach Surprises


Advertisement
Published: April 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

April 11

The drive from Charleston to Myrtle Beach via 17 wasn’t without its interesting points. Traveling along the Francis Marion Forest Preserve we tried to remember the words to Swamp Fox, Marion’s nick name. He was a revolutionary war hero who knew the territory as the forces of South Carolina fought the Brits. “Swamp Fox, Swamp Fox, hiding in a glen; nobody knows where the Swamp Fox has been,” etc. There were also many roadside stands set up by Gullah women to sell their baskets. As we neared Myrtle Beach, our earlier perceptions bore out - miles of commercial establishments - Pirate themed mini golf, buffet restaurants, every chain and fast food logo known to man! However we were in for a surprise when we got to NORTH Myrtle Beach. Our RV fee for the night was only $22 with full hook up at Myrtle Beach RV Resort (which we found in the AAA camp book). Mr. and Mrs. C. picked us up and took us to their condo, which is lovely and has a splendid view of a very nice wildish beach. We had drinks and snacks on their balcony and took a walk on the beach before they treated us to a home made meal (beef stew - delicious). We have only been eating out and nuking food for the past 8 days so it was a very nice touch. Great company and very nice time. Now we begin the drive home in earnest.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.526s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 34; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb