Camp again- almost the end of preseason training


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pre season at camp so far!

The qualifications are mounting... After the WFR (said woofer) we went straight into life guard training. It was a bit of a joke after first aid boot camp, but the principles were the same. Unfortunately for the teachers they had about three quarters of the class smart arse and newly qualified WFR's who argued each point and managed to talk their way into a pass on most of the tests. We all passed the swin test too- can't believe we used to swim 500m as a warm up! Its a definite challenge now! But we all managed to pass and I also learnt how to do a crocodile death roll: basically just flip people over and over in the water- much more entertaining than the correct method for telling off kids who are splashing each other.

The day life guarding finished we packed and got ready for horse riding overnight.
It was so much fun! We started friday morning at about 6.30am and got all the gear ready- camping with ponies takes alot of stuff, especially in America. It was cool though, we set off about 1 in the afternoon on friday and meant to ride for about 3 hours. We found a new track though and went exploring instead. In the end we got lost and rode up two mountains instead of one and rode for 7 hours non stop. Even I was a bit sick of it by then, and very very sore in the bum (we did get to see a turtle on the path though, Jess even picked it up)! we had heaps of fun camping out- i had my first smore too. Its an american tradition I think when your camping. Its a toasted marshmellow in two biscuits with chocolate as well. Really really yummy.

The next day we headed out to Dupont forest for another ride- it was a little painful hopping back on, but we did it and we didn't have to ride for as long- only 2.5hours to a lake for lunch and about an hour back again. Dupont was really nice, the lake was beautiful and I saw my first real live in the wild SNAKE! It was so cool, but also really creepy seeing how they move. The two days were awesome, Nic (new girl from England- she's awesome!) and I couldn't stop grinning the entire way. Can't wait to take some of the kids on the trips! I think then we go for four days though, not just one.

The night we got back we started orientation- this means we are on lock down until 5pm friday, but get to do lots of fun camp things, like games and team bonding.
The first night we just had fun and learnt everyone's names and the next day got to spend the day as a camper- we started off doing our swim test (luckily I passed, would have been embarrasssing for a lifeguard to fail!) and mucked around on the blob other water activities- there is a bike ramp you can ride into the water, an aqua tramp and an island to play on. Lots of fun, but I'm still a little nervous of turtles, fish and snakes! We then got to do team sports, kayaking in a canoe with a massive hole in it (it sunk and we had to swim it back in), and rockclimbing which i wasn't very good at. Its my goal to climb to the top by the end of camp. Hard work tho!

One really cool game we played was miniture tanks- I'll take some photos of it, but you basically go on hands and knees and say 'miniture tanks' over and over then try and flip the other person/tank over. Its fun.

Last night we also got to go on the night hike. This was really cool, and means we just go on a hike at about 8.30pm just before it gets dark. We aren't allowed torches or cameras (coz of the flash) and have to make our way in the dark. The first track was all up hill and came out on a road where we were met by a guy and his dog, who then called the police because aparently there were dodgy vehilcles there earlier that day and we were obviously associated. It was the first taste of crazy ameicans! The cops were really nice though and let us go pretty much straight away. We then walked up another road to this place where we ended up waiting for ages. It was pitch black by this point and we ended up pretty much bush bashing down the side of a mountain. More waiting and then we got to one of the second year councellors who had a rope. From here it got so steep we half abseilled down with just a rope to about half way down. It was really cool, one of the funnest things I've ever done! Once we got down we had to slide the rest of the way down on our bums it was so steep. The whole trip took us until 2am coz of all the waiting, but it was really fun. Just a little scary sliding through 10cm of leaf litter and god knows how many bugs/ants/spiders/snakes/bears. But it was really awesome.

We've all been shattered today but had a pretty quiet day going over rules and policies and other things. Only a week until campers arrive i can't wait! We learnt some of the camp chants too, which are pretty funny!

Hopefully I will have time for another update at the end of orientation, but from then on it'll be weekly or fortnightly! We also got to see the girls log cabin- its awesome and has INSIDE SHOWERS!!! Its like luxery, except for the MASSIVE spider in the sink its really cool!

Talk to you all soon! xx

Advertisement



31st May 2010

omg bravery in buckets
well now thats all sounding hugely crazy wild and scary - good on you - not sure about the lost bit though pleased you found yourselves -nice they let you have a play first before you get to be the bosses x miss you heaps still but happy you are running with snakes and bearsxx sam coming for dinner tomorrow as we are missing him too
1st June 2010

yay alice
hey al, sounds like big fun. lucky you. looking forward to more photos. lovexxx
2nd June 2010

What a fabulous time you are having ! Experiencing new things is really challenging, exciting and so much fun. I'm pleased you have found a friend in the English girl, Nic, as it's so much nicer to be able to talk about all the wonderful adventures you are both soon to experience. Can't wait to see the photo's. Hugh and I are off to Melbourne in just over a week. It's been a good ten years since I was there and I am so looking forward to retracing my steps and meeting up with old friends. Also shopping in Melbourne is a fantastc experience!!

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb