The end of the First Week!


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Finally an update!

A note about stuff- the spiders are massive. When we moved into our new cabin there was one in the bathroom the size of the palm of my hand. It crawled down the plug hole and back out when Nic was doing her teeth- hilarious the amount of screaming that was heard! I don't think anything creepy crawly will scare me back home anymore!

We also have amazing thunder storms. The humidity is rediculous, but the thunder and lightening is really cool, really loud and comes on very quickly.

ORIENTATION:

During orientation week we went on a practise cabin day. It was really fun, we had to construct our own tents out of tarps and ropes which was actually really cool (until bed time and then you realise that it makes it really easy for snakes and spiders to crawl into your sleeping bag). Because it never rains on cabin day the dew fell heavy in the valley and it was pretty wet, but still not as bad a sleep as i thought. We also got to try Smores, which is a toasted marshmellow smushed between two biscuits with melted chocolate on top. They are really good, but not hugely heathly. Very moreish tho, i suppose hence the name!

We also went out on trips the next day so I went white water rafting! It was so much fun. We went out on a grade three river in Tennessee in the smokey mountains (I didn't realise we had gone out of state until we got back lol). It was really cool, but took ages- we had to keep stopping because of thunder. Fork lightening is really common. On the wakeboard trip they had it hitting the lake and ground about 30 ft away from where they were! Pretty scary but makes for a good story when they got back. WE had an awesome guide called James for our raft- he did really well with a raft full of screaming girls. It was awesome though and we got to surf some of the rapids. WE also saw another company lose two rafts on the same rapid- one stuck on a rock and one flipped.. bit of a disaster for them! it was really fun though, I definitly want to go again!

We had a day off last friday night too, so we went to a place called the fun depo! It was, suprisingly, fun! it was like a mini theme park and had a mini golf, slot car thingys, air hockey, bumper cars and go carts. It was pretty awesome. We went into asheville the next day and got really lost- found a cool pizza place though that makes massive pizzas! it was fun, just did a bit of shopping in the mall. Abercrombie is probably the best shop ever.

The next day all the campers arrived. It was open day so we had lots of activities on and Nic and I got to give pony rides all morning. It was really cool and cruisy, except it was the first day we had to be really fast with the ponies in the morning and we had a fresh kick on one horses hock (quite nasty) and Jackson had an abscess blow out his rump. It was gross.

The first week has been really busy, but reallly cool. There are about 20 kids who are really keen to ride and have done clinics (to learn care for horses when we go out on trips) and lessons as well. They are all awesome, super enthusiastic and really love to ride so I think that has made it much easier. We even had a chance one morning to ride ourselves, so we took some of the new horses out around camp. We took one called biscuit into the arena too, and he went rodeo on Nic which was quite entertaining for the kids playing golf next to us. He wasn't too naughty, just had a little buck and rear. She stayed on so it was fine! On wednesday night the kids all went on cabin day- again it didn't rain, but the dew fell heavy again... there may have been thunder and lightening too. We aren't allowed to go with them on cabin day so got to go out for dinner which was nice, but it would have been fun to go with the kids.

Thats a quick overview of what has happened the last two weeks! Its been super busy and going really fast, but stillawesome and lots of fun! Will try update soon- new photos going up on FB too! 😊

Advertisement



12th June 2010

I enjoyed your blog about your orientation, and the horses, etc. Your comments on the S'mores made me laugh! They are a campfire tradition, and I think the name comes from the idea that you always want "S'more" ("some more"). Sounds like you're having a great experience helping the kids out. My blog is looking for travel photos, reviews, commentaries, etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email me at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Continued fun on your travels! Heather :)
15th June 2010

ew spiders
hi al, thanks for another blog. will go and look at your photos now. lots of love, keep having fun. love em

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb