First camp outing and week so far!


Advertisement
Published: May 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

First week done, lots to go!

ITs been so much fun so far! The first two days at camp I went for a ride and got to know the place and everything going on- I still don't know everyone's name but as a general rule you can call someone Matt or James and almost be right each time lol.

I started my doctor training- I can now do CPR, fix dislocations and other extreme sport injurys that often occur in the "back country". Its pretty intense learning and we have to do lots of drills and things- today was hypothermia, so we got wrapped in sleeping bags on the one hot day this week! But it is fun and even though its not recognised as a qualification at home its still good skills to have. WE have three days left and lots of reading to do! Although the course is really practical. The guys who took the first wakeboard trip out have already used their training! One of the leaders dislocated his hip while wakeboarding and had to do an 'emergency EVAC'- he seems sweet now tho, only a couple of days left on crutches then he's fine I think!

The day after this course finishes I start my lifeguarding and then riding- I think I'm having withdrawal syptoms from not riding, but only a week to go now! But the WFR (first aid) and lifeguard are good to have, Mary-Rosser (her uncle owns the camp) said we get to do heaps more because we are so highly qualified lol.

Clothes arrived friday which was good coz we have to do alot of touching in the first aid course and it wouldn't have been very nice if i was smelly as. I did buy a t-shirt in texas tho which is cool lol.

We have been kept pretty busy, but I did have a day off yesterday so Suzanne (arrived the night before) and Bryce from the first aid course went on a day hike with some of the kids. It was really cool, we got to tag along on the trip and went up onto a massive rock thing that had views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was really, really awesome and looks alot like home, just bigger and greener! I think we were about 3000ft up (camp is about 2000ft i think, so we've had lots of fog in the morning and its colder than home sometimes! I sleep with two duvets here). After the hike we went for a swim at a place called Slippery Rock which is like a natural rock water slide. It was really fun and cool watching the kids do it, but the water was effing freezing!! Like ice! The kids were cool tho- the girls were a bit annoying (it was a school group in, so co-ed) with all the screaming, but the boys were all very polite and happy to be there... And they call you Mam lol. Hopefully means good things for when the real campers arrive. The return staff here all have only good things to say! (PS: there is a guy here called Adam who is also from Kerikeri! Small world after all!)

The lakes and rivers are cool, but i definitly miss the beach! And, i found out the camp and area is only a few degrees (F) being classified as a rainforest, which would explain the intense thunderstorms and why its so green but its cool! I haven't seen any bears yet, but I saw a deer on the way here and we have some really cute white squirrels that live by our cabins.. they move to fast to get photos of tho!

Thats all for now. Will update again when I am a qualified superwoman/doctor. You might even see me on gray's anatomy..

😊 hope everything is good at home!

Advertisement



21st May 2010

hi al
find out adams other name we might know his mummy. am at work surprisingly but hoping to catch up on home stuff tomorrow and cant get em - shes off walking on the peace tree planting thing all well lucy needing to get in touch with the going to hawaii folk so she doesnt feel on her own for the first days but all will work out i am sure ooooh yuk to popping shoulders back in be grosser than your finger and mam is kind of nice i imagine and so are chipmunks take care - oit all looks v pretty keep having fun jhope you get to those horsies soon xxmum
29th May 2010

yay superwoman sister
Hi al, so glad you're having an awesome time. i wish i'd had guts to do that when i was your age.. always wanted to . enjoy the mountains. we had our first snow here yesterday on the hills, down as low as it usually gets midwinter! Tree walk was challenging this year - lots of rain, flu, youngsters to shepherd but will leave that for my own blog! Good luck with training and hope the kids are good when they get there, ma'am. xxxem

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb