Bock Marine Builder and hauling out again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Beaufort
November 7th 2009
Published: November 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

sling damagesling damagesling damage

epoxy on sling damage
Nov., 7.2009 Bock Marine N.C. 34.49.4 76.41.3

We arrived at the Bock Marine as arranged on Thursday morning, well in fact we were a bit early due to some tidal assist. It had been our original plan to back into the travel lift area...this was not to be. There are strong eddies here from time to time, and this was one of those times. We did make the attempt, it quickly became clear this idea was a no go. Despite being half an hour early, the very helpful staff at Bock was standing by to take lines as we drove in bow first. With a series of long lines they efficiently turned us around for the lift. It is desirable to have the stern towards the travel lift for us, as that means we do not have to undo the two forestays. There are no back stays to content with.
I am impressed with how the lift was handled and would recommend this place to other travelers. These folks are the only people who have ever laid us up level....That's right folks, for the first time ever we are not walking downhill towards our berths while we are
anodesanodesanodes

state of anodes
on the hard, or sleeping with our heads uphill! I like it. Unasked they set a ladder up for us along with a mat to help keep the dirt off of our decks.
This is a working boat-yard not a Marina designed to service the transient boater. They do however provide a lounge, wifi, showers and a loaner vehicle for their clients. Walking the substantial yard you find mostly steel boats. The boaters that are here, meet in the late afternoon for “happy hour” which occurs almost under our boat! It is nice and close, with everyone being very friendly and helpful. Our friends from Diana have been very helpful with their knowledge of the area, it is a pleasure to have connected with them on their travels.
We have washed the topsides, brushed off the anodes, ground the damaged below water-line spots, applied the epoxy to said spots, painted the spots on the topsides where the mooring ball at the 79th St. boat basin damaged the finish, applied primer where needed. Most important of all, the packing has been changed, very stubborn it was getting that new packing in. To those who suggested we do this in
lay-uplay-uplay-up

level layup!!!
the water....well there would have been lots of water pumping for several hours to go along with the salty language.
On one of my forays into the towns of Beaufort and Moorehead City I viewed cotton growing for the first time. I must tell you I thought the stuff was taller than it in fact was.
Tomorrow bottom paint goes on the repaired spots below the water line, some touch up paint goes on the decks, and voila we should be back in the water on Monday.
They have been doing some repairs to the area the travel lift drives on, which has made several boaters nervous, thinking their launches will not go on schedule. The news around the yard says, Monday launches will go forward as scheduled.
Those who are planning to leave here for off-shore runs are now watching tropical storm Ida to see what she has planned for those sticking their noses out beyond the barrier islands. We are also watching, but for now the sun is shining work has progressed as planned with no untoward surprises.

Advertisement



8th November 2009

Bock Marine
We have been at Bock Marine for 3 months waiting out hurricane season before we progress south on the open ocean. The Captain and crew of SV Joana (not Diana) will highly recommend if you need to sit out or do repairs/improvements this is the place. See you in the water monday.
8th November 2009

correction in order
Sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain....The vessel I was speaking of is S.V. Joana.....NOT Diana. Sorry about that folks.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb