Day 15 Front row seats Times Square for ball drop


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
December 31st 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.7488, -73.9911

Wow, wow and wow. That was billed as an experience of a life time and it did not disappoint. We were Richard's guests at the Brooklyn Diner and it felt as if we were regulars and they had known us forever. And talk about "location" - we were absolutely right there...our own personal viewing area at the first restaurant on the corner of 7th Avenue and 43rd Street.

The New Year was welcomed in with a five course meal and any combination of drinks...

We tooted. We ratcheted. We sported hats. We glittered. We flashed (in a good way). We yahooed at each 30 minute countdown point. We rioted when the NYPD men and women popped into the Diner (in a good way). We laughed, we talked, we met new people.

And all without fuss and crush. Mind you, we did have the option of crush if we wanted it. More importantly, this was accompanied by the convenience of a loo! Have to mention that this was the first loo ever where there has been the included convenience of a mouthwash dispenser. Have absolutely no idea why...but there you go...only in New York.

Despite the incessant clamour of noise and movement and people we managed to find our own private moments to seal the welcome to the new year. Anthony joined us for the gastronomical part of the night and at 11.30 disappeared into the masses of the mellee that was Times Square and then caught up with an Aussie crew further downtown to loudly welcome in 2016. Michael was in Brooklyn with his troops, partying up a private storm and as the zen master of the subway, he has been dashing across town, down town and uptown to catch all the action.

Here we were in a borough of 8 million, flooded with an additional million plus tourists in a tiny diner that seats 122 people. What are the odds that you would meet someone you know? You'd think astronomical. But right there in the three seater booth across from us was Kevin, a work colleague of Mac's from Suncorp. They had a common 10 years of service. A quick exchange of stories and updates and a dual acknowledgement of what a small world it can be.

Meanwhile, back in Whistler, Mindy and Ian were able to squeeze in their celebrations while keeping tabs on us here in New York. One million people squeezed to three blocks meant that the Internet was on OVERLOAD and our messages back and forth were delayed.

The focal point of our eyes and our camera was THE BALL. That amazing Waterford crystal ball.

Times Square has been the site of New Year's Eve celebrations since 1904 but the giant New Year's Ball - the symbol of ushering out the old and ringing in the new - made its debut in 1907. There have been various iterations of the ball through time but our view to welcome in 2016 was the Bicentennial Waterford Crystal ball covered with a total of 2,688 crystal triangles that vary in size and lit by 32,256 LEDs. The Ball is capable of displaying a palette of more than 16 million vibrant colors and billions of patterns that create a spectacular kaleidoscope effect on top of Number 1 Times Square. With mouth open and eyes glued to the sky we soaked up the light and the patterns and the sheer "spectacle" in order to burn it bright on our senses and hold it tight in our memory!

We have watched the ball drop on TV so many times and always marvel at the view of the black ants swarming underground as the celebrations conclude. And we were part of it. No joke, at 12.04 as we were tooting and blowing the horns, eyes still glued to the sky, the rush of the people exiting literally knocked Mac back behind our barricades. The locals were on a mission to hit the subways and people were swarming to get underground. By 12.20 we "almost" had 7th Avenue to ourselves and we were able to walk leisurely down the middle of the street with a small gathering of about 80 000 others - the other 920 000 had vanished.

The day of course had just been the precursor to the night but the hours were easy to fill in.

We started with an aborted attempt to get into the Empire State Building (wait of up to three hours) so we headed up to the Rockefeller Centre
...found a junk shop and stocked up on bling (even convinced Mac to get a flashing hat to wear)
...got our tickets for Top of the Rock for tomorrow night (10 minute lineup) and had a quick tour of the skating rink, shops and restaurants AND found the BEST loos in New York (no lineup),
...visited Swarovski (yep, couldn't resist and had loads of fun with John...affectionately known as Mother Superior in making our purchases),
....tried a quick meal at TriTop (and got a seat)
....called in to Tiffany's on 5th Avenue - was totally "non-plussed"
.....and took a pedal bike ride around Central Park with a Ukranian driver and guide who had been in New York for a grand total of five months

We were back in the crowds fighting our way down the length of 6th Avenue just as darkness fell at 4 pm to get ourselves home and dolled up for the big night out.

We had to be back out and heading to the Diner for a 7 pm escort through the four security points to gain us access to our exclusive corner of 43rd for what really was an experience of a lifetime. Special thanks to Mindy (who doubles as our Whistler guide) who did all the research and correspondence to secure our little slice of New York New Year's Eve magic.

And finally. the people in this city are so friendly. We have felt so safe. The terrors of the TV and movie screens probably exist but we have not seen it. The closest we have come to any issues was the guys with the "knock off handbags" making their speedy exists as the police arrived. But even in their haste to flee they were all "excuse me, excuse me" and "sorry".

Certainly grateful for all that 2015 has brought to our family and already looking forward to the delights of 2016. Gosh we are lucky!

Love, best wishes, pure joy and absolute excitement all channeled from us to all at home from the heart of New York....the city that never sleeps (and neither do we it seems!)

PS just saying, from my perspective it looked like 2014.

PPS And Anthony had arrived from Toronto in the morning so the couch dweller in our room has left and the boys are now on the 22nd floor with a stellar view of the city. Again, the accommodation is fabulous and they have plenty of room with separate bedroom and entertainment area. Just perfect because they are in and out at odd hours and have an Aussie crew to catch up with! Not sure we will see them for a few days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb