Day 16 Getting there first while everyone's asleep


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
January 1st 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.7489, -73.9913

No rest for the intrepid tourists. It was up and at 'em early this morning. Well, early for us. We were out the door and under ground at the subway by 10 am and we were heading to Lady Liberty.

We have used the hop on hop off bus for the last two days which involved a walk from 32 to 47th. Penn Station and the subway was across the road from our hotel. We were keen to take advantage of its proximity...and it came heavily recommended by Michael. We needed to have "speed" today to get us from one venue to the next. Mission accomplished - subway style!

It was a different experience in the streets this morning because everyone was asleep. Had plenty of seats to choose from on the train and with the benefit of the " express line" with our City Pass we were on the first ferry to Liberty Island. (A little different from our previous aborted attempt at visiting.)We accepted the challenge of the outdoor ride across the river to Liberty Island and plugged in to our audio guide to get the down low on Liberty Enlightening the World. She was truly magnificent. A hollow copper structure designed by Bartholdi, suspended on frame made by Eiffel, supported on pedestal funded through community efforts organised by Pulitzer, she has stood since 1886 as the 93 impressive metres of welcome to freedom for the immigrants who arrived New York's harbour.

The story of the fundraising efforts of Pulitzer, where some 120 000 people donated small sums to complete the project, the protests of the suffragettes, the shackles on Liberty's feet, the change of colour of the copper and the celebrations of the first ticker tape parade were stories shared as an intriguing backdrop to the absolute freezing conditions. The further we progressed on the tour, the stronger the wind became and the colder it got.

It was literally a mad dash to the warmth of the shop where we did indulge in some serious souvenir purchases. We now have cups, a replica and Christmas decorations. We'll worry about room in the luggage later.

Next stop was to the even colder Ellis Island. No outside berth this time. We were tucked up inside the heated cabin trying to thaw out. We plugged in to the audio tour for insight into the history of immigration. Thousands of people a day streaming through the processing centre looking for a new beginning in America. There were many heart breaking stories of family separations balanced with the joy of families being reunited. We particularly enjoy the audio tours...,get to learn lots and you can take your time looking at the exhibits that hold more interest.

The afternoon session was rounded out with a visit to the 9/11 memorial. What an impressive and moving tribute. You know it happened but it is difficult to comprehend an event like that happening in your own backyard. So many people just going about their daily business, in the rhythm of their own routines...and in the blink of an eye it all changed. There's no hoopla here. There's no over the top exhibits. It is an amazingly simple, stark reminder of the day that changed the face of America. The tragedy, the sacrifices and the courage of so many, combine to make for an emotional experience. A place that you could spend hours getting to know. A place that I would visit again.

All of the venues we visited today had airport type security checks. Had to remove bags and jackets and all items needed to go through the scanners. For Australians it could seem "over the top" but in light of what was the reality of 9/11 we are happy to comply. It does give a sense of reassurance.

Have to say that Mac was off his "direction" game. Got us "lost" tonight in the rush back uptown. Turned us round and spun us in totally the wrong direction. Even had to abandon the paper map and revert to the map on the phone to find our bearings. Just a minor detour....but totally unheard of for Mac. As luck would have it...didn't make a scrap of difference. We made it to the station as the train pulled alongside the platform.

We had booked our Top of the Rock visit yesterday and we did have a clear run through the doors, up the stairs and into the elevators. We were whisked up 67 floors to the outdoor viewing areas of the Comcast building, the centrepiece of the Rockefeller Centre. Shaped like the deck of a ship, this viewing platform is said to offer the best panoramic views of New York. Perfect timing for us because we have visited most of the landmarks and could easily discern our skyscraper compass points amongst the dazzle of the night time view. It was beautiful. Took photos from every angle from each of the three levels of viewing and of course braved not only the jostling and jockeying for position but also the numbing cold. Every New Yorker we speak to tells how lucky we are that it is such a mild winter! For us, the wind chill bites to our core. Even Mac is wearing top and bottom thermals.

Think the rest of New York was starting to wake up after a slow start because the squash, the rush and the hustle and bustle had returned to Top of the Rock as we pushed and squeezed our way to the subway. I'm a convert. There's no way I could make the trudge from 50th to 32nd street tonight. Think the persistent cold does deplete the energy resources.

Finished the night with dinner at Niles, the hotel restaurant. The best lobster bisque EVER. Could easily have dumped the other courses of scallops, sliders and a rack of lamb and just slurped our way through the soup. And jokes aside, I fell asleep at the table and Mac had to delicately nudge me to bring me back to the land of the living.

Hope the rest of the year can progress at a slower pace. This first day of 2016 has been a doozy.

PS: We do know that the boys are alive and accounted for. While we were at dinner had a message that they were in the room "resting." Weakies!

PPS: Think their first day reuinited has been chockas as well - went shopping at Tiffanys, jogged through Central Park, visited the Rockefellar Centre and loved the teeny tiny Starry Starry night of Vincent Van Gough at MoMA.

And to finish off with a "mother moment" - yes, your heels are going to split and crack in the cold if you insist on wearing shoes without socks when it is 0 degrees! Just saying.



Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb