An Everyday Hero


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
March 20th 2014
Published: March 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Doc Hendley is an example of an everyday hero. He transformed from a bartender in North Carolina into hero by providing fresh water for developing countries. His organization Wine to Water helps collect donations, and the organization sells wine to gain the funds. Hendley wants the water crisis to stop. In Developing countries, many women and children suffer from the water by diseases such as diarrhea. According to the article "Former bartender turned wine into water" by CNN staff says, "Diarrhea kills more children under 5 than AIDS, malaria and measles combined. And 88% of (those) deaths are caused by poor sanitation, unsafe drinking water and poor hygiene." Hendlen used to work in Sudan were there was a lot of Muslims, and he connected to them. He wanted to help them in a way he can. Water to Wine organization operates with more than 17 countries such as India, South Africa, Kenya, etc. This organization has been successful because Doc Hendley said in the article, "We brought about 2,000 filters, and we've been able to partner with a local water company, Maynilad, that's helping us provide 500 more. Syria is the very first location that we're using these Sawyer filters. We're really excited about them. If they're used properly, they will last 10 years and filter 250 gallons of water every day." His organization helped contribute to changing a great number of people's lives by installing wells.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0556s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb