Niagara the Movie


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Fearing that Officer Boyd had marked our card and that his indolent appearance was actually masking an incisive, crime fighting, zero tolerance hunter, we decided to cross the county line and head straight to the Niagara area. We carefully selected our next campsite, which was undoubtedly my favourite of the whole trip. Four Mile Creek State Campsite is on Lake Ontario near the River Niagara inlet. Beautiful and green, with grass and trees but not too heavily wooded and spotless throughout. We had a pitch right on the edge and the view of the lake from the bedroom was fabulous. Next morning we headed for Niagara Falls, which turned out to be both amazing and an anti climax. The USA side is pretty tacky and the area around it reminded me a bit of the Purley Way (apparently the Canadian effort is more upmarket). Goat Island, in the middle, is better and has some green spaces and forest. (We've become very spoilt... Lord knows what we'll make of London when we get back!!!). The actual falls though are spectacular. They are in two parts, the American Falls which is a massive waterfall and the Horseshoe Falls which is the awesome semi circle one usually sees in pictures. We went for a ride in the Maid of the Mist, the boat that takes you to the foot of the falls and the assault on the senses was just incredible. You can hardly see or hear for the thunder of the water and the spray. What an experience. Now, some time ago, Spencer decided we really needed a top spec (of course) video camera. Having researched extensively, he identified the perfect model: an all terrain, shock proof, dust proof and WATERPROOF baby that sits in the palm of your hand. (Francesca, if you are reading this, it is not Francesca proof (they haven't made one yet) and you can't borrow it.) What an opportunity!! Not quite its debut appearance, but certainly the first time it's incredible durability would be put to the test. There we were, standing at the bow of the Maid, ready for the photo opportunity of a lifetime..... Can you guess the rest? No prizes (and no pictures either).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



30th May 2015

Loving all your super blogs and photos
Is 'falls' relevant, here ? Or 'flat'; or possibly both? Much love. Mum and Dad.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb