The journey home begins


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This morning we visited Fort Niagara, which was apparently held a key strategic position in the fight for the continent. It is really well preserved and very interesting, was built in the 16 somethings and has been French, English, American, Native American and everything in between. Tomorrow is our 'transit' day when we head back to NYC, to be within striking distance of the RV depot for handover Saturday morning so we headed for an overnight stop at Letchworth State Park, to get us heading in the right direction. Letchworth is apparently called the Grand Canyon of the North and is a huge park. We arrived at the gate and I explained that we would like to walk along the river and see the waterfalls, but also needed to book in to camp. The camp ground was ten miles in one direction, the falls two miles in the opposite direction and the suggestion was that we book in at the camp site then return for a look at the falls before going back to camp. I thought a 34 mile trip was a bit excessive, so we took the chance of a late check in and went to the gorge first. It was pretty spectacular. The river running through the middle has carved a massive valley and there are three sets of water falls.... Not as high as Niagara, but the natural setting was stunning. Booking in at the campsite office later, on the door was a picture of an uber cute baby fawn with a sign that explained that if you saw a fawn you should leave it as it's mother was probably nearby. In the office there was a notice on the board asking hunters not to hang deer from their trucks or butcher them in the campground. Funny old world. The RV had a hob and microwave but no grill or oven so, shortly after arriving, we bought a disposable type BBQ. Cheap but cheerful it did us proud over the next three weeks and we were sorry to consign it to the bin after cooking our last two steaks tonight (beef, not venison).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb