Leaving New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
October 27th 2016
Published: November 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We awoke on our final day on the east coast. Erin and Dennis were staying one additional day and had tickets to see “Jersey Boys” that night. It’s a show that we’d enjoyed, and Sharon had seen it several times already in Ohio and Las Vegas; but, just not on Broadway.

Since we were only a few buildings away from St. Patrick’s Cathedral Erin and Sharon had wanted to attend mass there before we left. Their web site indicated they had music at 7, mass at 7:30 and 8:00 with a few more following. So they decided to go to the 7:30 mass but when we arrived early just after 7 am (it really was close to the hotel) a mass had just started with music (so we figured out when they said music they meant a mass with music) so we sat down near the back. Erin thought the priest looked like Cardinal Dolan and Sharon agreed especially as he was giving the sermon. There were quite a few people there that were all dressed up in their business suits. Since we were so far back they decided to go to communion at the first one they encountered in the aisle instead of going all the way forward to receive it from the Cardinal. After mass we asked if we could take a few photos and the greeters at the desk in the back said that we could from there or the sides since the next mass was about to start. All in all Erin and Sharon thought it was a great way to start the last day of our vacation together. We then headed back to the hotel to pick up Dennis for Breakfast.



The four of us, as they might say in “Game of Thrones”, broke fast at the Rock Center Diner. We’d considered eating here that first morning we’d been in New York; but, Erin had heard that it wasn’t that great and pricey. I’d tend to agree with so many other choices readily available. Still, it was like stepping back in time once people began ice skating on the outdoor rink just outside. The Zamboni had just finished preparing the ice. Like a scene out of “Miracle on 34th Street” skaters went around the rink counter-clockwise. Many were beginners, staying near the surrounding handrail and fearing to let go; while, others glided effortlessly across the frozen surface. There were two outdoor elevators on either side of the courtyard; but, the first one that we’d tried wasn’t working. We did make it to the underground mall and the entrance to the Rock Center Diner. I had a typical American eggs and bacon and Sharon tried the pancakes. Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel, and shortly after that said goodbye to Erin and Dennis as they set out for some more touring.



We had a noon checkout time which worked well with our 11:45 scheduled Super Shuttle pickup. An hour before pick-up the driver called us and asked us if he could pick us up on the corner about one-half block away. We eventually agreed on meeting in front of Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church. This was a bit of an inconvenience, especially when we set foot outside the hotel there was a steady drizzle coming down. We got to the corner, and decided to wait there opposite the church beneath an awning that wrapped around the corner and gave us shelter. Eventually though, we did venture into the openness and waited in the misty drizzling rain. Sharon suggested I check my phone for messages, and there was a message telling us our van number, and providing a link to track the van’s progress. I brought up the map and saw that the van was currently crossing an intersection about three or four blocks from us. He evidently wasn’t held up too much by the accident that happened right in front of us when a truck tried to pull out from being parked and bypass the car stopped at an odd angle in the only real lane that there was. The car got clipped, the driver bounces out and is furious. His wife gets out the other side, and the driver of the paving truck is sitting there, with his three work companions, not blinking an eye, not turning his head to acknowledge that anything happened or that anything should concern him. A few minutes of this standoff passes before the man throws up his hands, and gets back in his car, telling his wife to do the same, and they drive off to the left. And the truck proceeds straight through the intersection. That’s when I noticed the two foot patrolmen (actually one man and one woman) standing there and laughing having observed the whole incident. I guess if you drive in New York, a ding or two to your car is not something that you should get too bent out of shape over.

I told Sharon from looking at my phone that the shuttle was about a block or so away. She told me, “No he’s not, he’s right there.” We got our bags loaded and were the first into the van. We’d allowed about an extra half hour from the Super Shuttle’s recommended time to get to JFK. The van picked up two other couples, and then another person all the way across Manhattan (it seemed). That one seemed a bit out of the way to us. But we arrived and checked our bags at the curb. Our TSA-precheck got us quickly to the gate and we found a very good burger place to eat. Absent from the terminal seemed to be the McD’s and other fast food vendors that have become mainstays at so many US airports.

The flight was inconsequential, and we didn’t order anything special; except, Sharon just had to have her can of Pringle’s. I didn’t see any of that “Campbell’s Chicken Soup” that we’d had on Air Canada. We arrived on time, collected our bags and then had just one final part of our trip, where our neighbor had offered to take us to and from the airport. We thought it best to call once we’d gotten our bags and were standing where we planned to meet her, so that we could describe it accurately. You see, our neighbor doesn’t have a cell phone, so once she comes to get us, we’re basically incommunicado. It was an uneasy feeling. Las Vegas has a separate area away from the taxi pickup and dropoff areas at the terminal, for those using private transportation. And they are not allowed to park where you meet the passengers. Stop-Load-Drive Off. If you try to stop, the traffic officer is on you like stink on a skunk. We finally spotted Cathy, but she was on the side of the street opposite us. But that officer was ever so helpful to stop traffic and let her come over and pick us up.

So another trip is over but we did book 3 more cruises (2 trips) while on board and do have a trip to Hawaii planned too so we’ll be back to blogging soon. Thanks for reading.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.544s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.1415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb