New York HOHO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
October 26th 2016
Published: November 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We slept well and the four of us went out in our quest for Dunkin Donuts. We’d been foiled in our quest for these stateside treats in Montreal when the Dunkin Donuts in the underground mall had not been open that early on a weekend morning, and we wound up being foiled again at the end of our trip in New York. We simply couldn’t find it this time. We strolled by the outdoor filming of a segment of “The Today Show” and one guy strolled up to us, appearing to be associated with the show, and offering a cold weather wool cap to Sharon “just because…” Well, it turned out that he wasn’t associated with the show at all and was panhandling money for some veteran’s charity. We finally gave up on the Dunkin Donuts and opted for breakfast at a local baker. Sharon pointed out the breakfast biscuit, seemingly pricy at $8; but, I decided to give it a try. I also spotted a chocolate almond croissant and the only thought running through my mind was “I’ve gotta get me one of those.” I asked if they had chocolate milk, and they said that they did although it wasn’t on their hand-written chalk on blackboard overhead menu. Sharon got a cinnamon roll with hot chocolate. Erin also chose the chocolate almond croissant, and I’m guessing that she and I might think a lot alike. Dennis seemed happy with a cup of coffee; which, is more than I can say for my chocolate milk. I told Sharon, that it tasted like they took some hot chocolate and put ice in it; whereupon Sharon told me that that was exactly what she had seen them do. The croissant however, was beyond good, and might be right up there with the best I’ve ever had. New York does do some things well, I mean, you can start down the culinary delights that they’re known for: Pizza, Bagels, Pastries, Deli Subs… and on and on. Sharon thought likewise about her cinnamon roll and I couldn’t believe that she ate the whole thing, as big as it was. However, she wasn’t as happy with her hot chocolate. She’d asked for it with their homemade marshmallow but somehow that got translated to extra chocolate.

Today’s plan was to take the “Red Line” of the Big Bus. We waited for the Big Bus Shuttle to stop just down the street from where we had eaten. We’d seen one stop as we arrived, and expected another bus to come by shortly. It’s a shuttle that takes people to the main Big Bus boarding place that we’d been yesterday to get our tickets. But the shuttle never came, and after half an hour we decided that we’d better hoof it. We got on the bus that was near the terminal, apparently waiting for us, after confirming that it was the Red Line. When another bus pulled in behind us, our driver told us that we should change busses; because, that bus would be leaving in about five minutes, and this one wouldn’t be pulling out for over one-half hour. We heeded his advice, and that’s how we met our tour guide Sherwood (Like the Forest).

Sherwood offered a lively running commentary about the buildings and history that was passing us by. You could tell that this wasn’t his first rodeo. He introduced us to the bull on Wall Street. The bus is more a way of getting around, and listening to speakers such as Sherwood, than a picture taking opportunity; unless, you brave the mostly exposed upper deck. There is some shelter up on top in the most forward seats; but, beyond that you face the wind, sun and occasional sprinkles (and for that you get a much more unobstructed view). As we rode around it was a tradeoff for staying warm and dry versus being able to take pictures. You’d still have to be pretty darn fast with the trigger finger though to capture anything but a blur. Need I say, we chose to stay warm and dry. Our journey down 5th Avenue passed many residences or former residences of who’s who in America, from entertainment (such as Woody Allen and Barbara Streisand) to politics (such as the Clinton’s and Trump). With the morning Manhattan traffic it took a while to make it down to the stop for the Nine-Eleven Memorial, now occupying the space where the World Trade Towers once stood. Our NY Pass gave us free admission to the museum occupied by the fancy eagle-winged terminal for the subway. The museum offered a detailed accounting of events that unfolded on that morning back in 2001. News coverage and firsthand accounts were replayed on the many monitors. There was a Memorial Hall of victims of that day, showing pictures of the lives so senselessly snuffed out. Within the memorial was evidence of devastation in twisted metal, crushed fire trucks and even the remains of the transmission tower that once had stood at the pinnacle of the World Trade Towers. Special reverence was also paid to the first responders; some who successfully saved people initially trapped in the towers, and some who died trying. Dennis and Erin sat in on the presentation covering the Pentagon, and found that to be very moving. Many throughout were sitting, watching and listening to images and voices relive that day, remembering loved ones lost. For those who come here having lived in other places such as Kentucky or California on that fateful morning, it may be likely we suffered no personal loss on that day; although, we were certainly moved by its events. For those who lived and worked in New York though, so many have personal tales of loss to tell. Sherwood acknowledged that he had lost his five best friends living in New York on that morning. So of course our hearts went out to those whose eyes were welling with tears.

We boarded the Big Bus once again, and went on to the next stop to get off to board the ferry to the Statue of Liberty. This was also covered by our NY Pass. It actually allows you to go to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island; but, boarding after 2 PM leaves you only enough time to visit one of these before the ferry stops running. As it was about one quarter of an hour past two, we chose the Statue of Liberty. When the security guy saw us head to the rear of the line, of probably what would have been a forty minute wait (we probably wouldn’t have made the next ferry that was just pulling in) and with Erin making her way on crutches he directed us to walk to the front down the center exit lane. We scooted by all those people, just like we were getting that 4-star Mariner line jumping perk… What’s Erin’ motto, “Get Ahead, Travel With a Gimp”. We were the last to board since the boat was about full when they pulled us into Security. Hey, it works for me. And, yes I was feeling those piercing eye daggers again.

I went out on deck and got plenty of New York skyline photos from the water, and also of the Statue of Liberty that I somehow missed the day before from a much bigger ship. There was no missing the lady today. On the island with the Statue of Liberty, we took some more pictures. The museum is still being built, and wasn’t yet opened. We again got that “Get the Gimp on Board Quick” service, and the ship departed for Ellis Island. The truth be told, for us there would have been plenty of time to get off and see Ellis Island as well; but, we were ready to head back.



We boarded the Big Bus HOHO and decided to exit at restaurant row to find something to eat. We found a nice Italian place that could seat us right away, and it also had a special fixed price 3 course meal that we took advantage of. I got two appetizers because I travel with a very picky eater. My buffalo mozzarella was quite good; but, Sharon’s Tuscany onion soup was fantastic. I enjoyed my cheese ravioli with a truly great marinara sauce. Erin inquired about substituting the minestrone soup for the onion soup; but, that deal wasn’t going to fly… not even for a gimp. So she had the salad which was one of the choices. Sharon had the tenderloin medallions (without the brown sauce) while Dennis had his with the sauce, and he said, “The sauce made the dish.” I tried a bite of her medallions and I think I would have preferred it with the sauce as well. After dinner, we walked back to the hotel amid a whole other world of vendor street activity… from the hot dog vendor, pretzel vendor, gyro vendor, we were being totally immersed in the New York experience. It’s incredible how you can be walking down these streets, practically any time of day, and never catch a glimpse of the sun because your continually in shade of these massive buildings that tower above you. I heard people say more than once “I could never get used to this” and it is certainly a life style very foreign to what most of us experience. Wondrous and foreboding all in the same package. With so much to do and such a variety of life at your fingertips, it’s understandable how people can grow to love this place we call New York. Our trip is nearing its end and all that remains is to get back home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 28


Advertisement



13th November 2016
IMG_3296

She's a lady
Of liberty...nice

Tot: 0.618s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 72; dbt: 0.22s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb