So much activity, so little time!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
December 21st 2019
Published: December 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

I may have to resort to bullet points today to cover all the activities/highlights of the last couple of days:

- Brooklyn Bridge - originally set out with the ambitious target of walking across and then to the 911 memorial. But when it’s -8 with a wind whipping off the harbour, the first pylon serves for photos and a view of the Manhattan skyline, and well, the subway is warmer and doesn’t whinge.
- 911 memorial - we had hesitations over taking the kids and we missed much of the museum part as it was ‘not recommended’ but we were really pleased we went, even it it was a sobering reminder of those events almost 20 years ago...and such a change in scenery from the last time I was here and the towers were still standing. Fielded lots of questions from the girls about why it had happened (actually quite difficult to answer in a simple way) but such an important event in our recent history that we are glad that we helped them to understand what happened even if not why.
- High Line...or not. Sadly, and inexplicably, the High line was closed. Such a disappointment after working so long on a ‘place making’ project in Sydney and hoping to see the pinnacle of urban renewal in the flesh, but sadly, had to gaze at it longingly from ground-level. Found out later that it was apparently closed because they had to scrape the ice off...who said cold?!
- Chelsea Market - after missing the High Line but enjoying the full force of the gale blowing off the East River, we were happy to retreat to the warmth and gourmet delights of Chelsea Market, ready to stock up for our cruise.
- Harbour Cruise - the girls were very excited about seeing the Statue of Liberty (which Genevieve is trying to convince to undergo gender reassignment). Cruised from Pier 62 down the river, enjoying the side-on view of Manhattan towards Lady Liberty, and the more traditional view of the island and sky-scrapers. After visiting the 911 memorial, it was interesting to note the gap in the skyline where the towers should have been. The sun was setting and the view was spectacular...if only to be enjoyed for a fleeting few minutes outside at the front of the boat, before retreating inside for the warmth, wine and tasty Chelsea Market cheese and candy corn (no guesses on which way that was distributed between us).
- Bryant Park Markets - last stop for Thursday was Bryant Park winter village for a little bit of shopping, a little bit of cheesy Christmas photos and a little bit of alfresco (think -5, perfect for outdoor activities) dining...lucky for mulled wine for warming and numbing of parental responsibilities!
- Sleeping in...I think I might have worn them out yesterday as everyone slept past 9 this morning! Toughen up troops!!
- Times Square (ugh!) and M&Ms world...I’ve really got nothing to say here except I’m looking forward to trying the different flavours we can’t get at home.
- Joe’s pizza - long wait for purportedly “the best” pizza in New York. No denying it was good, but voted by the girls as ‘not as good as daddy’s’. I think they’re generous.
- Intrepid Museum - walk through Hell’s Kitchen to the museum to check out the Growler Submarine, Space Shuttle Enterprise and the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier. Really interesting and interactive museum - lots of things to get into and play with (alas, I crashed landed the space shuttle twice) and also watched a 3D movie about the mission to Mars (came away not entirely convinced about the rationale).
- “Best Restaurant Ever” - in choosing not to go to a Broadway show while we were here, I’d wondered if I’d done the wrong thing...well, here’s something I definitely did right - Gayle’s Broadway Rose where the wait staff are all aspiring Broadway singers/actors so while they’re waiting the tables, they’re also belting out show tunes, none better than our waiter, Jessie, who both girls took quite a shine to. We had arrived early, in a genius move, as it meant there were hardly any other people and the wait staff had more time to sing and perform and weren’t bothered by the hassle of serving. Truly a fun night, one ‘for the whole family’, where we enjoyed ourselves too, and not just because the kids were. Oh, and did I mention the massive milkshakes??


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb