Eating and (watching) exercise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
December 22nd 2019
Published: December 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

We forewarned they girls that today would involve a LOT of eating...and we were not wrong. First stop was brunch at Balthazar, a New York institution, so I’m told. In celebration, and really, just because, we kicked things off with a breakfast cocktail...cause, you know, it’s Christmas! Most indulgent breakfast enjoyed by all.

Brisk walk to the Tenement Museum on the Lower East Side where we were taken on the Hard Times tour around 97 Orchard St to learn about the Gumpetz family who lived there, in three rooms, around the 1870s (along with 21 other families) and the Baldazzi family, around the 1930s. They have recreated their apartments to look as they would have and you are taken on an interactive tour with a small group. Really interesting very personal tour.

Next stop, to complement the history lesson from the museum, was the Lower East Side food tour. Sampled some knish from Yonah Schimmel’s, some gelato (some had more than a sample), some dumplings, some donuts, bialy, pickles, cupcakes and pudding, all while learning about the fascinating history of the area. Also walked past the famous Katz deli, but as the lines stretched part way down the block, I did not have what she was having!!

Naturally, we had to offset all the consumption with some exercise, of the spectating variety. New York Knicks vs Milwaukee Bucks at Madison Square Garden!! Very excited to see our first (and only) NBA game...pity the Knicks pretty much sucked and got smashed by the Bucks and last year’s MVP the Greek Freak. But it was heaps of fun and a super convenient 5 minute walk back to the hotel.

Last day in New York tomorrow before some hard-earned rest in Vermont!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb