Another Journey Comes to an End.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
January 2nd 2016
Published: January 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

New Year’s Day

We woke up at around 11 and it was snowing hard again. We had no plans other than the hotel brunch at 1:30. Breakfast was included with our stay, but today we upgraded so we could participate in the New Year’s Day Brunch. It was quite the spread. I only took one picture and that was of the dessert and pastry bar. There was a very large selection ranging from vegetable gratin, to lamb tagine. There was also some nice poached salmon, risotto, gnocchi, cheeses, fruits and so much more. We pretty much stuffed ourselves. Then we went back to the room and watched movies on TV for the rest of the day and watched the snow. We were going to have poutine at a place near mount royale, but we were just too full from brunch and too warm in our room.

There is much more to see in Montreal, but the weather didn’t exactly cooperate. It definitely requires a trip back in the spring, perhaps we will combine Toronto with that trip.

The Trip Home and Final Thoughts

It was a good trip, I did enjoy Quebec City more than Montreal, perhaps it was the weather, but I just found Quebec City much quainter, older and more European than Montreal. It was also definitely more French. While we will return to Montreal and make a visit to Toronto, I do not see us visiting many other parts of Canada, unless it is Nova Scotia on a Cruise from Portland Maine, but that would most definitely be a summer trip not a winter trip.

We are now on the train back to New York and Tarragon, I am sure he will have some not to kind words for us upon our return. In our journey’s we have traveled on many different vessels, trains, planes, cars, ships and barges. Train and boat are always my favorite because it is just more relaxing. Not that the freedom of a car in France or Spain is not great, but still relaxing on a train or boat really can’t be beat. Trains in Europe our far superior to any trains anywhere else. They are more comfortable, more reliable and faster. Canadian train service is definitely second best, so far. The only place that has worse train service than the US is Thailand, that was not a joyous trip at all. I am really at a loss as why Amtrak can just step up the game, clean the cars and at least have reserved, I mean real assigned seats, not cattle call seating, if every other train system in the world can do it, I am pretty sure Amtrak could figure it out.

We are at the border crossing and the very mean looking agents have boarded the train, feels like your crossing into what was the Iron curtain back during the cold war. I mean it even looks that way, there is snow on the ground, the train is crowed with the huddled masses, and you could be dragged off at any moment for further interrogation. So have we progressed or is everything still the same? The border crossing is at Rouses Point, NY, which is as far north in New York as you can get. The city is on the shores of Lake Champlain and Vermont lies just across the lake. The remainder of the trip should take about 8 hours maybe a bit less we pull into Penn Station at around 9 tonight.

In writing this blog I looked back at the blog of our last European trip, and noticed my top ten cities. I will update them again here, once I access to the internet, when we cross the border. There is really no change in the top 10. Montreal and Quebec City were nice, but they aren’t going to break into my top 10 favorites, and no surprise there is no change at the top. Paris is still my favorite city of all time. There is going to be some movement in the ordering of the rest of the cities, mainly because after living in New York City for 2 years, it has lost some of its luster as a wonderful city. I still love New York, but it isn’t going to remain number two. The reality of living here lets you see it for what it is and not what you see as a tourist.

So, internet service is back, so here is the Old Top Ten Cities: Paris, New York, Venice, Salzburg, Seville, Aix en Provence, Victoria BC, Bangkok, Barcelona, Prague.

The new top ten, no change in cities, just in order based upon reflection of past trips and current living situation: Paris, Venice, Salzburg, Aix en Provence, Seville, New York, Prague, Barcelona, Victoria BC, Bangkok.

Finally arrived home at 10 pm, after a stop to get a pizza for dinner, yes we are total New Yorker’s now, taking a cab home from Penn Station and stopping on the way to get a pizza. Tarragon, is giving me a piece of his mind and is requiring a lot of attention right now, so until next time

Next Trip, Lisbon, Madrid and Paris, This May.

Advertisement



4th January 2016

home again, home again, jiggity, jig!?
So glad you's are home safe, lots of good memories, more knowledgable about planes, trains and automobiles, about our world, and the food!! Good accounting, blogging. Until next trip, be well and happy! Much love. Mom
5th January 2016

Another Great Blog!
My husband and I have always enjoyed your blogs. Keep up the good work and look forward to the next installment.
9th January 2016

Toronto
Toronto is on my short list. Let me know when you're gonna go an we could meet up for a day or two.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb