An Englishman in New York


Advertisement
Published: May 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We took the train to downtown NY today, alighting at the World Trade Centre. No 1 opened a few months ago and is apparently the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. It's really quite amazing (hopefully photo uploaded) and if you stand near the base and look up you can hardly see the top. We visited the memorials too, one for each tower, which are also incredible and very poignant. After a mooch around we bought tickets for a 'hop on hop off' boat trip around Manhattan and out to the Statue of Liberty. There was a very cheery chap doing a tour guide commentary which started with a request not to stand on the seats and included an invitation to buy refreshments from the on-board bar and start your happy hour early, because "...it's always happy hour somewhere in the world!!" Unfortunately he said exactly the same thing every time someone hopped on and by the fifth stop the temptation to make his next hour very unhappy indeed was almost overwhelming, so we hopped off and continued our tour on foot. Tribeca, Greenwich Village, Chelsea and back to NY Penn Station later, we limped back to the hotel after nearly 12 hours on the go. Hopefully a good nights sleep before we collect our RV tomorrow and the road trip begins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.4s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb