New York, New York.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 18th 2010
Published: August 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are in the city that never sleeps. Unfortunately, we do sleep, a lot.
Today we woke up at 1.30pm, thinking it was 9am (the time our alarms were set to go off), today was a lazy day. To say the least. However, we did managed to go out to see the Statue of Liberty, our ticket permitted us to a ferry ride and entry to the monument, although it was up around the 35+ degree mark and we were all so hot and bothered that we didn't get off the boat, we got some sweet snaps of old Lady Libs from the boat and stayed aboard, and we definitely got some sweet snaps in front of the Statue in our new Stat. of Libs foam crowns... ohh yeah.
Once we got back to the hotel we loaded up our washing bags and headed to a laundry on 30th street, hng around there for about an hour in the sticky heat waiting for our clothes to wash and dry, ate some skittles and drank our 398634 bottle of water for the day.
We've just been to the Outback Steakhouse (Australian based) and had probably the second best feed we've had since arriving in the States. We were all quick to order steak and veg and we kept our waiter well entertained with our shenanigans as we were the first Aussie's he had met, we gave him about 75cents in Australian coins as well, which he was wrapt with. It's still so toasty and warm that we decided to walk back from the restaurant to the hotel, about 30 blocks, we naturally had to get some delish icecream on our way to keep up stamina. Nyom!
Sarah was even nice enough to give her dinner left overs to a homeless man sleeping on the street, hopefully when he wakes up he'll find a nice little surprise sitting next to him. Good deed for the night.

Back to yesterday...
Yesterday we arrived bang on 12pm after our plane was delayed a little bit, I definitely fell asleep on the 35 min flight, which was annyoing because I really wanted to get some snaps flying over New York, too bad so sad.
As soon as we arrived we were lucky enough to have a room ready to roll so we put our bags away and heading up the block, turns out we walk around the corner from our hotel and we're on 5th Ave. I looked up and said "hey, I think that's something important, no?" sure is. It was the Empire State Building. If it was any closer it'd be jabbing us in the eye.
We were starving so we had to have what we'd all been waiting for New York for, a New York piece of pizza. It was about the size of my head and for $5 a piece of pizza and a can of coke was a pretty good deal. We headed out on to the street and found a hop-on-hop-off-bus-ticket-seller, cut a sweet deal and headed up the Empire State. It was an amazing sight, 360 degree views and I got some fab shots, the line to get up was pretty huge but it hardly took 15 minutes and we appreciated the air con!
After we left the ESB we jumped on our bus, we knew we had to be back at the hotel by 5.30 in order to leave for the NFL game by 6 (and we didn't know how we were getting there- it was in New Jersey). We stayed on the bus for the entire route and we saw so many New York sights: Times Square, Central Park, The Plaza, Brooklyn Bridge, Time Warner Building, Chrysler, China Town, Rockefeller... etc etc etc. Tomorrow we plan on actually getting up at a reasonable hour and actually hopping-on and hopping-off. It was still definitely a great way to spend the arvo and when we got to Times Square (TS) it was drawing on 5.30 so the lights of TS looked awesome as the sun started to go down.
We arrived back at our hotel and raced down to conceirge to find out how we were going to get to NJ. About and hour and half in a cab? I don't think so. We jumped in a cab to the bus terminal which is basically in TS and jumped on the $10 return shuttle to New Meadowlands Stadium in New Jersey. The NFL game (Jets vs Giants) was so much fun, I think the boys enjoyed it a lot more than we did, even though Sarah and I had fun we probably would have enjoyed it more if we actually knew what was going on!! We had fun bagging out the cheerleaders though, maybe we're just jealous of their intelligence..
The game was the first game to be played at the new stadium and we had seats about 5 rows back from the front, the atmosphere was incredible, I had to shout out random things whenever the crowd would get going "get out of here, is this a joke?" I had no idea who or what I was talking about but the man behind me was definitely shouting similar things so I felt pretty down with it.
Sarah and I had to have popcorn while we were there and we got the boys souvenier cups which I'm pretty sure they left there..
So tomorrow we will be hopping on and hopping off, Alissa arrives tomorrow night which will be so fun + we have the MGMT concert at Radio City Hall, which we found out on the bus tour yesterday that the theatre holds 6000 people and MGMT is sold out.. WOW!
Should be loads of fun.
Adios from a very muggy New York, New York.. It's time to sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb