Day THREE (Friday)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 2nd 2010
Published: April 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

NY LibraryNY LibraryNY Library

The lions of wisdom and strength.
Everyone is tired! Lots of walking yesterday!!! Destination today was Rockefeller Center with all its glitz. Believe it or not, there is still ice skating at the rink!

Off to NBC studios, then the Sony Wonder Lab. (We all decided to nix the Sony visit for next year). We got to see the Saturday Night Live set and several studios that the network uses for their productions. It's interesting to see how much of what we think is "real" on the TV is totally fabricated by the media. None of what we saw on one sports set was real.

Had lunch on the run and had a walk down 5th Ave. St. Patrick's Cathedral was in the middle of a Good Friday mass -- very full. The music was stunning as we sat in the pews for a few minutes.

We continued down toward 42nd Street. Seemed like the whole world was walking down 5th Ave today! We were among the millions of tourists on Spring break. We took our picture in front of the lions at the NY Library and went inside for a look. The interior is spectacular. One of our group was in search of
CircusCircusCircus

Fun introduction!
the original Winnie the Poo book which is kept in the library. She found it!

Then a ride to the World Trade Center site. Had to make our way through crowds, an Easter procession (complete with massive crucifix) and loads of city traffic. Did I also mention it was hot too? (All part of the NY experience!) We donned headsets and spent an hour listening to stories of those who lived through the 911 attack. It was sobering to say the least. Students agreed that this was one of the more memorable things we have done so far.

OK -- the evening continued as we got into cabs and headed toward midtown. Dinner at a real "diner" and a quick trot to Madison Square Garden to watch the circus. It was a challenge to find our seats, but they were excellent seats once we found them. A few of the kids really got into the circus spirit and bought expensive "you're-at-Madison-Square-Garden-and-and-we-can-charge-as much-as we-want" cotton candy. Amazing animals, amazing acrobats, amazing motor cyclists riding inside a steel mesh ball, amazing trapeez artists doing quadruple spins..... A LOT of FUN.

It was a DAY!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Circus at The GardenCircus at The Garden
Circus at The Garden

Among the crowd.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb