Day 4 -The tour begins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 19th 2008
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today the group staying at the Novotel, travelled to the airport to receive the bigger group commig from Puerto Rico. At aproximately 11:30 am the group led by Valentin arrive at the baggage claim area. After hugs, kissees and best wishes, we were divided into two groups. The group one travels in the white bus, and the group two travels in the red bus. I must confess that theee are not the colors the Mr. Valentin will like to have. Perhaps this is a premonition of whats going to happen in Novemeber.

We ate at La Banderita Restaurant. We were greated with salad, rice, "arroz con gandules", roasted chicken, "ropa vieja", "yuca" and fried plantains. It was like being in an oasis after all these dyas eating American food.

After lunch, we went to register in the Hilton hotel next to the Newark airport. The facilities are nice and the managemenr greated us personally. We only stay for an hour and then deoarture to Chinatown. The history of this place is interesting. Origininally the italians were owner of most of the real state. Chinese inmigrants from the Honk Kong peninsula, started to populate the area until they were majority. These chinese inmigrants spoke cantonese, Then a new wave of inmigrants started to establish in the place, the chinese from the mainland. These chinese inmigrants spoke mandarin. Eventually they displaced the Chinese from Hong Kong. Today the area has a diveristy of chinese, and inmigrants from other countries, However, the chinese influence is predominant.

Chinatown is famous for the jewlery, specially clocks. They are also know for the ability to imitate pursues from top of the line designers. Most of us, walk around the Canal street in search of bargains. Some bought t-shirts, other bought clocks and others jewlery.

After Chinatown, we went to a plce underneath the Brooklyn bridge that has a great view of Manhattan. The weather was chilly, but many of us decide that the scenery was worth the sacrifice.after a short ride to the Staten Island Ferry terminal, we went abouard a Ferry to take a glimpse at the Statue of Liberty, a gift of the French to the American people. After the short trip back, we boarded the buses toward dowtown Manhattan to eat some food in the Manhattan area.

We return back to the Hotel past eleven o'clock.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb