Day 5 - A Day in New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
February 21st 2008
Published: February 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

The day started at 6:30 am with a wake up call. After having breakfast and a devotional we headed to New York for a city tour. The tour took us through four of the five counties that New York has, namely Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. The only one not visited today, but visited yesterday was Staten Island.

We made several stops to take pictures . These were:

* Lincoln Center
* St John Episcopal Cathedral
* Ulysses Grant Mausoleum
* World Fair Grounds
* Times Square

The Lincoln Center for performing arts was started in 1959 by President Eisenhower. It is the city most important cultural center. It covers 15 acres on the site of the slumps that had being the setting of Leonard Bernstein classic musical West Side Story. The Licoln Center it is now the house of the Metropolitan Opera House and the American Ballet.

The St. John Episcopal Cathedral is a cathedral following the biznatine and gothic styles, It is known as the cathedral that is unfinished, since the work to complete the cathedral remains. Unfortunately a fire in 2001 that strated in the gift store destroyed the North Facada and the 8035 pipe organ. The organ is schedule to arrive at the ned of the year, Work continues to restore the church to the original state.

Ulysses Grant was president of the United States from 1869 - 1877. Fought as a general in the U Civil War and defeated the confederate General Roberst S Lee. He was considered a great military strategist. As president of the US he was recognized as a supporter for the civil rights for the Afro American people. In the mausoleum lies today President Grant and his wife.

We had time to go shopping in the Time Square area. We visited the Toys are Us store, a four story building full of toys. Imagine the boys wandering around the aisles of this huge store. It was like becoming a child again. We also visited the ESPN sportzone, the MTV store and the Billabong and Elemnt stores.

Tonight we were able to see a lunar eclipse. At 29 degrees it was difficult to stay outside until it finished. But it was definetely a nature show.






Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb