Day 2 a Day at the Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 17th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we slept until 9:00 am. We were exausted from yesterday. Unlike,the day before, we explore the city on our own. After a breakfast in Mac Donalds we headed to the Museum of Natural History. In front of the Museum, there is a mini park where there were small chunks of snow remaining on the ground. The boys quickly discovered it and went bananas. It was their first encounter with snow in 8 years.

The Museum is a big place. The structure covers four city blocks and its located in Central Park. The Museum holds a record breaking number of 30,000 fossils, the largest in the world, of which the only a sixth's of them are on display. Our visit started with a show in the Planetarium called Cosmic Collisions. The show demonstrated some of the actual collisions that our planet Earth has suffered through the years. It also discusses what can we do today to avoid such collisions.

Inside the museum there are five different levels with collections of all around the world. The hall of Bio Diversity holds a collection of different animals. This hall connects to a Sea creatures exhibit that holds a replica of a blue whale captured in South America in 1925. One can only be amazed by the size of this enourmous creature.

A visit to the dinausur gallery is a must. Here the visitor see gigantic fossils of these animals discovered in several parts of the world. Unfortunately, we could not see the famous T-Rex of the movie a NIght at the Museum.

The museum also holds an impressive collection of artififacts from Native American Indians and Polineasian tribes. You can see the way they fish ed and the weapons they used to capture their preys, An exhibit showing different canoes used by the polineasean indians is interesting,

We headed back to the hotel using the subway. The Museum is so popular that it has its own station. Once in the hotel we rested for about an hour before going to the Hairspray show. The musical, who has won 8 Tony awards, is impressive. The musical replays the drama of the original movie. For those of you not familiar with the movie, the musical is about the issues surrounding the integration of negroes and white people in a dancing show that was air on TV. The drama occurs in the 1960s in the city of Baltimore.

We ended up the night with a dinner at VIctors Cafe, a nice and expensive cuban restaurant located next to our Hotel. I ate there 23 years ago in my first rrip to New York. The boys were enchanted with the food and personality of the place. The restaurant has not changed much since my last visit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Traveling TankTraveling Tank
Traveling Tank

This animal lived in Southern US and parts of Latin America a long time ago. It is an hervibore whose weight was about a ton and measure up to 10 feet.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb