Travel to New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 16th 2008
Published: February 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we woke up at 5:30 am to start the Bella Vista Adventist Academy 2008 educational journey that will take us to New York, Philadelphia and Washington DC. A group of about 80 students, parents and faculty will be participating this year. The first group of 16 explorers departed from San Juan PR at 8:00 am arriving in New York three and a half hour later. Although we were ready for the cold weather, the 28 degree temperature quickly gave us a sense of what was ahead of us. We arrived at the Novotel Hotel and left our bags there until check in time. Most of us were hungry by that time and we decided to go for a pizza. We could not find the pizza restaurant and decided to eat in the Olive Garden. After a wait of about an hour, we finally had our lunch. I suppose it is not easy to accommodate a party of 16.

After lunch some of us decided to go to the Empire State Building. We waited in line for about an hour before finally making it to the 86 th floor. The view from the observatory deck was breath taking. It was chilly outside but the view was worth the effort We were fortunate to have a clear day with a visibility of about 25 miles. You can easily see New York icons suchs the Chrysler building, the Statue of Liberty, the United Nations building, Central Park and the skyline that has made New York so famous.

The Empire State Building is the tallest building in New York,today. It was build between 1930 to 1931. This was right after the Great Depression. Because the economy was so weak, the building was difficult to rent. So it people began to named it "the empty state building". Hovewer, the popularity of the observatories made this building and icon of New York.

Originallly the building was supposed to be 86 stories, but later a mast to hold zeppellins was added. Today this mast is used by the TV and radio stations to broadcast their signals. The elevators inside the building are superfast. They are capable of lifting people at a rate of 1200 ft/min.

Our date today ended with a quick ride in the subway. The subway is like having a city within the city. The people, the sound of the trains, creates its own environment under the ground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

It was coldIt was cold
It was cold

At Times Square in the afternoon


18th February 2008

Que buena vida!!!!!!
Hola: Acabo de ver las fotos y parece que tuvieron un buen primer dia. Los paisajes hermosos y me trajo muchos recuerdos de mi univo viaje a New York (tambien subi al Empire State lo unico que era verano y andaba en "shorts"). No sabia que iba al frente un grupo de 16 personas.. que chevere!!! la deben estar pasando super. Aca los extranamos mucho pero sabemos que aprenderan mas con este viaje. Un besote y seguire visitando su blog durante la semana. No olviden llamar a abuelo el sabado 23 que es su cumpleanos!!!! love you all...... Titi Sio
18th February 2008

Se los dije que iban a tener que apertrecharse
Cano: Veo que le comprastes los abrigos apropiados a los nenes. Como han manejado el frio? 28 grados por la manana? Eso es como 10 por la noche sin el windchill. Espero que esten pasandola brutal. By the way, New York es mi ciudad favorita. Como mi cumpleanos esta cerca, mi fragancia favorita de la tienda de L'Occitane es "Four Roses". Acepto, shower gels, jabones o el perfume. Gracias y que sigan disfrutando!!!! Nandy: Feliz Cumpleanos!!!!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb