Orientation


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 7th 2007
Published: July 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Train ride from New Haven to New York, uneventful. Scarier than usual cab ride to the upper east side followed - I did not thinkt hat it was possible for a cab to go from 50mph to 0 back to 50mph in the span of a block - evidently I was wrong.

We had an orientation session today - wow - lots of info in not much time. Tried to learn the Chinese language in an hour. I can do all four tones and say the two most important phrases. First - where is the bathroom? Second - that is too expensive (meaning, let's bargain). Learned what are acceptable conversation topics and what are not - go figure, it is not ok to talk about the commmunist party and sex - maybe China is not that foreign of a place after all.

We are leaving at the crack of dawn - actaully, I think I would be happy with the crack of dawn - the vans leave at 4:15 in the am for LaGuardia - perhaps this is a good thing - I will be really tired, and consequently, sleep the entire way to China - 13hrs, 32mins!!! It should not be technalogically fdeasible for a plane to go that far.

We had a fantastic Chinese dinner. Before leaving tomorrow I had to make sure I had Coffee Lovers Only Ice Cream from ColdStone Creamery. How can you go wrong - coffee ice cream, heath bar crunch, roasted alomods, caramel = heaven in a bowl.

Ciao for now - next update will be from the Middle Kingdom.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb