How to Do New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 9th 2023
Published: September 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Far be it for me to even pretend to know New York. Even during my heavy business travel days, New York City was never a favorite stop. Back then, and even now, I prefer Chicago, Boston, Washington, DC, and Seattle. But here are a few pearls of knowledge, gleaned from Bing travel. Empire State Building-This 102-storey building on 34th Street in Midtown Manhattan has two observatories at different levels, which offer remarkable views of all the boroughs of New York City and also far beyond. Apart from the 360-degree views, check out the Art Deco murals on the lobby's ceiling. In the lobby, there's also a model of the building on display that is not to be missed. Soaring 1,454 feet above Midtown Manhattan (from base to antenna), the Empire State Building, owned by Empire State Realty Trust, Inc., is the “World’s Most Famous Building.” With new investments in energy efficiency, infrastructure, public areas and amenities, the Empire State Building has attracted first-rate tenants in a diverse array of industries from around the world. Rated # 1 Best Attraction in the US by TripAdvisor. Central Park-Central Park, in the heart of Manhattan, is one of the most widely known parks to experience the magic of autumn. The largest public park in Manhattan offers many locations to photograph the colorful foliage of fall, such as the Gapstow Bridge, the Lake, and the areas around the Bethesda Fountain.
Statue of Liberty-Lady Liberty, which stands tall as a universal symbol of freedom and democracy, commemorates the friendship between the people of France and the USA. Not only is the copper sculpture a national monument, but it is also a great vantage point to view various parts of New York City from the viewing galleries at the pedestal and the crown. France gifted the statue to the US as a token of friendship and cooperation during the American Revolution. The newly opened Statue of Liberty museum offers a lot of history and interesting trivia—for instance, the full name of the statue is 'Liberty Enlightening the World'; and that its framework was built by Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, after whom the Eiffel Tower was named.
Times Square-One of the most memorable ways to ring in the New Year is to watch the ball drop at Times Square. The New Year's Eve Ball is a gigantic geodesic sphere made of Waterford Crystal triangles. At 11:59 PM, a large crowd begins to cheer as the ball descends gradually from the top of One Times Square. Apart from this grand countdown, you can enjoy other global countdowns hourly as other prominent regions across the world ring in the New Year at their local times.
Broadway Shows-New York City's theater culture is one of its kind and very popular. Most of the city's Broadway theaters are located in the Theater District. Some of the most popular shows, such as 'The Lion King' and 'Beauty and The Beast' have been running for decades. Yet, new performances premiere ever so often. The Broadway experience includes both plays and musicals. Ticket prices may vary.
The Met- Collections at the Metropolitan Museum of Art consist of works of art from classical antiquity, ancient Egypt and Europe. The halls are curated based on geographical regions and also notable periods of history. Apart from routinely held art exhibitions, the museum's incomparable permanent collections represent humanity's most significant accomplishments spanning 6,000 years. The Met is the largest museum in the U.S.

Grand Central Terminal-Midtown Manhattan's legendary train terminal is not only one of the most-frequented landmarks of NYC, but also a cultural hotspot of sorts. With close to a hundred eateries and retail stores in its precincts, this 20th-century terminal ensures visitors always have something to do apart from catching their next train. Exhibitions, holiday fairs, the celebrated Grand Central food market, bars, restaurants, shops, and the spectacular view of the terminal's central hall await travelers who stroll into the terminal.
All that jazz-New York City has jazz performances for die-hard fans and casual visitors alike. Most of the renowned jazz clubs are in Manhattan, with the oldest ones in Greenwich Village. A lot of talented musicians can be heard at clubs in Harlem, Hell's Kitchen, the Flatiron District, and other neighborhoods. You can delight in the wonderful sounds of jazz anywhere in the city—streets, parks, and even certain subway stations.
Charging bull-Located on Broadway just north of Bowling Green, the visually arresting Charging Bull sculpture features in most travelers' pictures and selfies. Arturo Di Modica, a Sicilian artist, created this 7,100-pound bronze statue in 1989. The artist spent his own money producing the three-and-half ton bronze sculpture and installed it without permission. Often regarded as a Wall Street icon, 'Charging Bull' testifies to the aggressive and high-power nature of the financial world.
NY Chinatown-NYC has several Chinatowns, but the one in Lower Manhattan retains its position as the first and the most famous in the city. The street food is a must-have, especially dim sums and steamed buns from handcarts. For a more comprehensive selection of Chinese food, eat at the dine-in restaurants. If you're an avid shopper, explore Chinatown's bustling markets, which also sell knockoffs of fashion items and electronics at incredible discounts. Chinatown sells 100 durian per day!!
My thoughts: NYC is a great people watching city. Sometimes, I just sit on the steps of a famous landmark, and watch people walk by. Or sit at a sidewalk cafe and do more people watching. It is fun to imagine where all of these people are going, in such a hurry!! Of course, the energy is so contagious. SoHo, which stands for “South of Houston Street," is among New York City’s coolest neighborhoods. With chic boutiques, eclectic galleries, and hip eateries galore, you can spend hours wandering the streets here and popping in and out of shops. And speaking of shopping, your options abound, from big-name brands like Rag & Bone and Anine Bing to local favorites like Kirna Zabête and Henrik Vibskov Boutique NYC. Having been to New York City mostly on business over the years, I find it quite different to be a regular tourist. Though I never worried about my expense account,

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb