Lake Erie Locks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Lockport
September 11th 2010
Published: September 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Erie CanalErie CanalErie Canal

Here we are floating down the Erie Canal towards the Locks.
We went to Lockport today to go on the Erie Canal Locks. They raise and lower you a total of 49 feet in two different locks down the Erie canal. The Erie Canal connects the Hudson River and the Atlantic Ocean at sea level with the Niagara River and the Great Lakes at 570 feet above sea level. There are 35 locks, the first lock is in Albany, NY and the last one is here in Lockport. It was really interesting the way they raise and lower the water so that the boats can pass through. We also went under two lift bridges. I really wasn't expecting much but it was fascinating to be in the lock when the water was raising and then coming back through and being lowered. It is the exact same thing that they do at Panama Canal only on a smaller scale.

From there we found a DDD's in Buffalo that we decided to try for dinner which was only 25 miles away. We plugged it into the GPS and took off. Well, the plus side was that we found it with no problem and it was in a good part of town. The negative
Locks EntranceLocks EntranceLocks Entrance

We are at the entrance to the Locks.
side was that it was only open for breakfast and lunch 😞! Sooooo, luckily I remembered the name of one of the other ones and we plugged it into the GPS and found that one. It was called Pizza Junction and it was really good. Thank goodness it wasn't a bust and we were able to add another DDD's to our growing list. We are up to 17.

We are taking the day off tomorrow. Going to watch some football and hang out. Taking off for the New England states on Monday. Lobster here we come! 😊K


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Inside LocksInside Locks
Inside Locks

We are inside the Locks. There is a gate just like this one behind us and the water is rising to where the dark water line is.
Inside Locks FillingInside Locks Filling
Inside Locks Filling

You can see the bubbles in the water because it is filling very fast with water. See how high we have gone up by the dark water line on the side of the wall. The gate will open when it is full.
Inside Locks Filling 2Inside Locks Filling 2
Inside Locks Filling 2

Here is a better picture of the water filling.
Locks FullLocks Full
Locks Full

Here is the gate opening after it has been filled.
Locks Full openingLocks Full opening
Locks Full opening

The gates are fully open and we are going into the second Lock.
2nd Locks filling2nd Locks filling
2nd Locks filling

Now we are waiting for the second Lock to fill.
2nd Locks opening2nd Locks opening
2nd Locks opening

The second Lock has filled and the gates are opening so we can continue down the canal.
Locks coming backLocks coming back
Locks coming back

Now we are coming back and so the Locks have to lower us. There is a girl standing at the top of the bridge in a red shirt. Look for her in the next picture.
Locks fully deflatedLocks fully deflated
Locks fully deflated

See the girl standing on the bridge? That is how far down the water went. It only took about 5 minutes for the water to lower. It was very fast.
Locks deflated openingLocks deflated opening
Locks deflated opening

Now the Lock opens and we are on our way.
Bridge LoweredBridge Lowered
Bridge Lowered

There are two bridges and the raise and lower for the boats to pass through. Here of course it is lowered.
Bridge LiftedBridge Lifted
Bridge Lifted

Now it is lifted so we can pass through. What is hilarious about this is it is one guy named Dave who does this and he has to drive between the two bridges to raise and lower them. Sooo... once you go through one bridge, you wait until he drives about a half a block, runs up a flight of stairs and then rings the bell and raises the bridge. Too danged funny!
DDD Pizza Junction Buffalo NYDDD Pizza Junction Buffalo NY
DDD Pizza Junction Buffalo NY

Here is our 17th DDD's in Buffalo, NY. Very good food.


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb