Day 20 - Waterfalls Galore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Ithaca
September 29th 2016
Published: September 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 42.4405, -76.4955

What a morning. Trouble with maps, can't charge anything, no power. Found some in the bathroom. AND, its finally raining. Meant to stop at Wegman Supermarket for supplies (code for donuts) but with everything going wrong, we neglected that stop as well!

Rain doesn't stop us, but the lack of maps tries to stop us. Had to find the Ithaca Falls on our own. Up near Cornell University. We managed to find them but due to a lot of work you can't see all of them. Bit disappointing.

Off to Taughannock (pronounced Taganuck Falls). 30minutes later and nothing, not even a trickle. Apparently this one and the Buttermilk Falls feed the lake, and with no rain for nearly 20 weeks they've dried up. We decided to do the walk to the falls anyway, because Ella was keen. The rock formations were interesting, more like slate, as in they were large rectangular slabs, even when they break away, not like normal rocks. The falls having been receding for 10,000 years and the information about the erosion, and the change is physically visible. These falls are 30 feet (3 stories) higher than Niagara Falls. They would have been nothing short of stunning! Just not for us.

PS - the trees provide such a great canopy we aren't getting that wet.

Headed to Robert E Treman Park for the waterfalls there which are fed by the lake. Lower Falls (Enfield Falls) includes a large swimming basin. Then headed to the other end of the park to hike the gorge to the Lucifer Falls. The falls were good but the gorge was fantastic and great walk. Well worth it. Around every corner, it just looked amazing and was extremely high.

Headed home (3pm) for some food and drinks. Rest up for a bit. We headed to Wegmans for dinner in the food court area just because we could and a little more of Ben and Jerry to finish off.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

oh my....the walk backoh my....the walk back
oh my....the walk back

There must have been at least 6 sets of these. Straight up over and over again.


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb