Day 6........Destination Las Cruces


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
January 4th 2007
Published: January 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We ended up driving another 100 miles past Amarillo, TX to Tucumcari, New Mexico. Also about 3 inches of snow on the ground!!! Ridiculous. We hope to be able to make it to Las Cruces, near the border of Az. And hopefully feel some warmth!!

Yesterday we did go by Cadillac Ranch where that Texan "planted" some Cadillacs. I guess he just had to move them so we almost missed them! But I did not have a can of spray paint to make my mark! It really is just kind of dumb. But to each his own, I guess.

This is another KOA andswe had to shut off the water at night b/c of freeze warning. And it WAS very cold last night! It probably got down into the 20s. Then our gas tank went empty so it was VERY cool in the living area of the RV but the bedroom was very nice b/c we had the electric heater going full blast. But it is another clear day, not a cloud in the sky.

We left around 8.30 this morning. I had an idea that I might have a bladder infection, so rather than wait, we stopped in Santa Rosa, population 2500, at a little clinic which was part of the Guadalupe Hospital, maybe 15 beds!!! Ha! Ha! The office was like one we waited in 40 some years ago. But there was a TV in the waiting room. Freezing in there too. But I was in and out in less than an hour so that is fine. I got some meds at the local pharmacy and we left and got back on the road.

The elevation is rising and we are on our way to Las Cruces, New Mexico. More hills are emerging and the landscape is becoming more vegetated w/ evergreens. We are on a 2 lane highway called 54 and Mike decided to take this rather than go through Albuquerque which is still a mess from that last storm. The schools have been closed for the rest of the week there! I am glad for the teachers!! And there are not as many hills on this route. The GPS keeps us on track too!

There has been a great variation in the rise and fall of the land as we have travelled today. Now we are back down to about 5500 feet above sea level and things are looking kind of brown again. We just stopped in Carrizozo which is just a little town some 120 miles from Las Cruces. Being connected online has been spotty. We hope to make it to Las Cruces yet today but who knows. Our next town is Alamogordo. We are calling this "get 'er done" country. It is soooooo desolate.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

SNOW!!!  SNOW!!!
SNOW!!!

Yes, that is snow, NOT sand!!!
CarrizozaCarrizoza
Carrizoza

A little town on the way to Las Cruces


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb