Back to the Caldera with WildEarth Guardians


Advertisement
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.6915, -105.937

We signed up for another river restoration/tree planting with WildEarth Guardians. This time it was going to be in the Valles Caldera. We decided to go up the day before like we had done the other time but this time we camped in the Jemez Falls Campground seven miles from the entrance to the Valles Caldera.

We took the scenic route up through Los Alamos, past the guard station with no problem and amazingly were some of the last people to arrive at the campsite before it was "campground full"! We had ourselves a nice dinner, and watched the comings and goings of our neighbors. We were surprised to see that there was not a burn ban in effect and people had their campfires blazing! We had looked at the weather before going up there and there was a "red flag" warning because of the low humidity and winds that were predicted.

Both were tired so we called it an early evening because we knew we were going to working in the morning! Up bright and early and drove down to the entrance of the Valles because we were not sure when we needed to be there. Had our breakfast while we waited and finally they opened the doors for us to enter.

Drove in and waited for rest of group to arrive. Everyone finally arrived, carpooled up and off we went. The Board were having a retreat and we stopped to have them join our caravan. Had a minor glitch when one of the drivers had to go back, had not checked her gas gauge and get gas light come on and so we picked up an extra rider.(minor shuffling involved)

The place where we were working was a 45 minute drive back into the Valles so it was a nice ride as we wound along. There was evidence of the fire three or four years ago that was sad to see.

Arrived at the place, unloaded and walked down to San Antonio Creek where we were going to be planting trees. Part of the crew we had met last time were there and we said our hellos and then got to work. Fortunately the soil was not as clay like as before and we made some good progress.

Stopped and took a break for lunch and then worked for awhile longer. Had a nice visit with some of the board members while we worked. As usual, an interesting bunch of people at work. On the ride back to the visitor center, we picked up another passenger and had a very lively discussion as we drove out. Did take a wrong turn but got ourselves back on the right road and did not cause any alarm. Said our good byes and headed back to Santa Fe.



Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Dramatic Scenery On  Road to Los AlamosDramatic Scenery On  Road to Los Alamos
Dramatic Scenery On Road to Los Alamos

the clouds are always so lovely


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb