Artesia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Artesia
February 18th 2020
Published: February 19th 2020
Edit Blog Post

blog 02-18-20 Artesia

Lynne and I left the campground at 10 am and Watson got to come along with us. The day was cool and cloudy so we thought going to discover a town about 40 miles south that was known for it's art and sculptures was a really good idea.

We passed several old farms, some still in operation, and wound our way along a 2 lane country road through towns like Dexter, Lake Arthur and Hagerman. There were a few cottonwood trees here and there but mostly just desert scrub and only a few scattered birds.

We got into Artesia and discovered it was an oil town complete with an old derrick and a refinery, and lots of white pickup trucks all motoring about. Our first stop was the library, an unusual building with modern and old west look to it. There were sculptures scattered all over town and we walked to some and had to drive to others. There are pictures....

We found another Mexican restaurant way down 7th street that became 8th street just winding down from the lunch rush, every table was dirty but one so we sat there and had a nice lunch. We didn't like it as much as our lunch yesterday but it was filling and we went about our quest to find every sculpture.

Watson was happy he got to go. He did get to walk the streets with us as you'll see his picture here and there and slept half way home.

The temperature was about 45 all day so it wasn't too bad because the wind wasn't blowing.

Back home it was time to look at reservations for next year, can't believe it, and get caught up on the blogs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb