East Coast Tour - Days 1 and 2 - We've been here before


Advertisement
Published: July 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 - Atascadero, CA to Kingman, AZ

We left the house only a little later than planned and started heading east. Once we hit Barstow CA, we did a lot of reminiscing about our Route 66 Trip 4 years ago. If you are interested in that trip, read it's blog . Our goal today was Kingman, AZ. These first few days will be mostly driving as we try to get to somewhere we haven't been before. The highlight of the day was stopping for lunch at a Long John Silver's in Barstow where Tony created a perfectly beautiful ketchup cup for Anne. The KOA in Kingman, AZ is very nice if you are headed out that way. we set-up camp, hit the pool, made dinner, and relaxed with a few games.



Day 2 - Kingman, AZ to Albuquerque, NM

We were up earlier than planned and, since it was already warm at 5AM, we decided to pack up and go. We did make one stop in Winslow, AZ just to go stand on the corner again. What a difference from 4 years ago. We stopped in Flagstaff to have second breakfast and then made the long haul to Albuquerque. Most of the drive was filled with comments like "Hey, Look! It's route 66 again" and "Vortex" as we got passed by another semi. The Albuquerque KOA is just as lovely as it was 4 years ago. We even met a couple who used to have the same style of trailer we do. We went swimming, Michelle built a fire, it rained a little bit and we finished the night off with some toasted sausages and marshmallows. Tomorrow will be another long drive, but there may be Aliens and Caves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Packing upPacking up
Packing up

Putting the finishing touches on our packing job.
And we're off!And we're off!
And we're off!

Don't we all look so excited to be heading out?
The perfect pumpThe perfect pump
The perfect pump

Tony made an extra pretty ketchup cup for Anne.
Arizona BorderArizona Border
Arizona Border

Goodbye California!
Kingman KOAKingman KOA
Kingman KOA

Look at our lovely shade.
Michelle's Second BreakfastMichelle's Second Breakfast
Michelle's Second Breakfast

It's so happy to see her!
Albuquerque KOAAlbuquerque KOA
Albuquerque KOA

Not quite as world famous as the Albuquerque Holiday Inn.
Hatchet JobHatchet Job
Hatchet Job

Michelle learned how to use a hatchet. She cut the wood, built the fire, and was just about to light it when it started raining. Totally looks like rain here, right!
Enjoying the resultsEnjoying the results
Enjoying the results

The rain passed, and we roasted sausages, marshmallows, biscuits, and waffles! Tony roasted a Mike's (without the fire).


1st July 2016

Rain
Ah, monsoon season in the Southwest. It's amazing how fast it comes in and passes through. We went through that area on motorcycles a few years back and got caught a few times in the late afternoon weather.
1st July 2016

Winslow, AZ
Love that photo. Keep posting. This is fun to follow

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb