First day at Great Basin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
May 30th 2009
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blooper 1Blooper 1Blooper 1

These two pics are real bloopers. I was trying to get a picture of us sitting on a bridge over Baker Creek. There is one decent one I'll post below. You can tell Anne is enjoying my efforts to get back ito the picture in time.
Geo: 38.946, -114.258

Up fairly early and on to Baker, NV. Got here around 10:30, PDT, (time zone changes at the UT/NV border) and checked out where the Trail--er, GBNP Visitor Center, etc. were. Stopped by the first GBNP Visitor Center here in Baker - Ranger not particularly helpful, on to the VC in the park. Found that the Wheeler Peak trail is snowed in for the last part. There are a few others up around the 10,000 foot level that we will try tomorrow. Today did a loop around the Baker Creek area for about 6 miles from 8,000 feet up to about 9,000 feet. Can definintely tell the difference between the 4,000 ft. starting elevation at Zion and 8,000 ft. here. End of the Trail--er, where we will stay tonight, is a very nice place. Met Margaret Ann Pense, the owner, and a really interesting person. Website with info about her and the trailer is http://www.outside-art.com/EOT.html . Let me post a few pictures and get to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Flowers Flowers
Flowers

Yellow Flowers along the trail.
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Purple Flowers along the trail.
MarmotMarmot
Marmot

Saw several of these little animals along the trail
The Snake ValleyThe Snake Valley
The Snake Valley

Taken from the Wheeler Senic Drive.
TreeTree
Tree

Somewhere in the park are supposed to be tree carvings made by sheepherders in the mid to late 19th century. Think these are of more recent vintage.
UsUs
Us

Successful ????
Wheeler PeakWheeler Peak
Wheeler Peak

From the Baker Creek trail.
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Red flowers (Indian Paintbrush ?) along the trail.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb